Have been putting next goals together, an effort to get more done. This year I made a resolution to try to finish up 30 + years of ufo 's, and use up and /or donate fabric I may never use. My problem, after working fairly hard at it, half way thru the year, I'm not getting it done.

Has anyone done this? How long did it really take, what made it doable?

I really want to spend a few years "angst free" in my studio. Also want to do more of what I really want to finish. How to get it done. I have finished organizing the studio, it's clean and I can find everything. Now the rest..... Hope to hear stories, Pat;)

i got overwhelmed at christmas one year and was freaking that i wouldn't get my christmas tops done before christmas. so this is what i came up with: i have a few customers that piece really well, and really can't afford the custom quilting they covet on their quilts, so i asked one if she would be willing to trade piecing my christmas gift quilts/UFOs into tops for me for quilting 'credit' a win win for both of us and i got my quilts finished. it was a load of my shoulders and made the time leading up to the holidays better....i also did this with another client with three UFOs i wanted to finish, but didn't have the push....all my other UFOs that i 'out grew' i donated to my charity group for finishing for charity....

it takes time to down-stash. my advice- a year is a bit soon to do this. 30+ tops is finishing a quilt (on average) every two weeks...that's a bit of pressure and cruising for burn out.

what makes it doable: being harsh, go through your stash and if you immediately don;t know what you'll use it for- donate it. rule one- you are not allowed to go through the bags once it's donated....

jusy keep at it...

A couple years ago I was at St. Vincent de Paul's and there was a lady looking at the bags of fabric (old polyesters) to make her Christmas presents. We talked and I found out she lived in the old little trailer with her developmently disabled son. She made jammies for anyone she gave gifts to but couldn't afford the prices on the bags of fabric. I found out where she lived and took several bags of usable fabric to her door. She wa speachless and very pleased. Sometimes I think about a fabric and wonder where put it and realize I passed it on. That was a win win.

Carreen

Every September, our guild has a "silent auction". Everyone brings in their UFOs, fabric, or other quilting related items and the other members bid on the items that they want. The money raised goes to the guild and sometimes, someone elses project may be more interesting to you that your old one. We had to limit it to "3 bags of stuff" (We call it 3 bags full, like the poem) and if nobody buys your item, you have to take it home with you. Almost all of the stuff sells.

A group of us made realistic goals, listed the UFO's we wanted to finish that year, and had sort of a contest with no rules, no prizes. Each month someone picked a number and that related to the project with that number, and we were to try our best to finish that project that month. Some listed finish the top one month, quilt the quilt another and put on binding on another month. One may be to bind 3 table runners, or set of placemats. etc. If we finished one project early in the month we were allowed to go ahead and work on the project on the list, that would take the most time.. It worked and most people were surprised at how much they could do in a short period of time.

Am I being shunned or ignored??

RitaR

Rita: This sounds like what I was looking for, four of us ( an old bee 18years,) are getting together Wed. for ice cream.....I'm going to suggest this, we are a small enough group, see each other 2 times a month, 2 of us are getting ready to possibly move to smaller houses. This idea sounds good for me and all of us, perhaps with support I can get more done. I thank you for a great idea. ANY MORE??:P:P

First off, look at your UFO's. I remember reading somewhere that they become UFO's sometimes because we don't like them any more (we've grown past that color combo, style of piecing, etc.) If it doesn't bring you joy, and you aren't excited about finishing it -- perhaps it's time to just pass it on. Gift it, sell it or donate to a charity, but get it out of your studio so that you can concentrate on the projects that DO bring you joy and that you really want to spend time on.

I had to set more realistic goals too. I have tons of UFO's but started with just the goal of simply WORKING on ONE, at least one time in the month (Seriously tiny baby steps for me!) It won't serve to bust your UFO stash too quickly, but it also doesn't add to the guilt already mentally accumulating with the fabric LOL!!

Archived