Dawn and Staff

I recently returned from a combined trip of Des Moines, IA and a side trip to Minnesota to see my brother. I live in North Carolina. Took Dawn's advanced quilting class. If you have not taken a class from Dawn, you are missing out. Though it was informal, it was intense and though I have been quilting on my Millie for two years now, I learned a whole lot. Example: taking a simple quilt design, emblishing it and making it my own. Key word is practice. Dawn has a real sense of teaching and made us feel so comfortable. I even took my shoes off. Of course, I showed up an hour early because I was on North Carolina time and not IA time. Dawn was in the office but it never fazed her. I just relazed and read and admired all the beautiful quilt artwork around me. It made me feel so blessed that I am in a position where I can call the shots and make people happy w/their quilts.

Dawn, from deep down in my soul, thank you for all you do for the company and for your customers. :):):)

Now with all that is said, I don't think I want to live in IA. Flat, flat, flat. I need hills w/lots of green. No offence people from IA. But come to North Carolina and I will show you what I mean.

Originally posted by Tony123

Now with all that is said, I don't think I want to live in IA. Flat, flat, flat. I need hills w/lots of green. No offence people from IA. But come to North Carolina and I will show you what I mean.

You must definitely not be on the coast! LOL We lived in NC for 13 years on the coast and I couldn't wait to get back to NY where we have lots of green trees (not all pines) and lots of beautiful mountains. I'm with you the flat is not for me. Bonnie will disagree with me on this one! She loves it wide open.

Aw now............Iowa is God's country! haha Don't you remember in the movie "Field of Dreams" (filmed in Iowa about 2 hours north of me) that one of the ghost ballplayers asked "is this Heaven?" and Kevin Costner said, "no, it's Iowa". haha Right now it is very HOT and HUMID. Pretty normal for July.

I am taking the free Beginner class from Dawn next month and can't wait. I was able to sit in on a short seminar with her at a quilt show last Friday where she had us doodling on cheap floor tiles with dry erase markers. She was giving ideas for quilting borders..........also had tips for some "contrary" borders and how to fix them. I am looking forward to the regular class more than ever now. Been considering signing up for the Advanced Beginner later on.

Dawn is a great instructor, and so helpful to all of us in so many ways. I've had both of her classes in Des Moines and learned so much from her.

Hi to Tony, my classmate from the maintenance class 2 weeks ago. :) It was so good to meet you, and the others in class, also. I really enjoy the opportunity to get to know others from the forum and being able to meet in person. We had a good class with Amy - another top notch teacher! She taught us a lot about our machines and now I feel empowered and am no longer afraid to take a screwdriver to it. :P:P:P

And Tony, you were on one of the most beautiful lakes in Minnesota, and even though any hills you saw may have been small, you have to admit there were a lot of trees, so you didn't see just the flatlands on your trip. :P

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by Tony123

You must definitely not be on the coast! LOL We lived in NC for 13 years on the coast and I couldn't wait to get back to NY where we have lots of green trees (not all pines) and lots of beautiful mountains. I'm with you the flat is not for me. Bonnie will disagree with me on this one! She loves it wide open.

And heading west as I type. So looking forward to blue sky, open spaces, and sagebrush. ;)

Now, now! Iowa is just about the best place in the world. We have the most captivating sunsets you would ever see. You can see all four seasons and have plenty of time to enjoy them all. Although, this past Winter was a bit much. It is a great place to raise children. The people here are so helpful and friendly. Try and find those people in the larger cities.

It sure is nice we don't all like the same place!! I don't know that there is that much room in my neck of the woods for all the space that those 10-14 foot tables with long arms on them where I am. Just might get to be too many people. You all just need to pick the place where within minutes of driving you get flat, rolling and steeper hills, but I'll leave the huge mountains for summer weather, I'm not fond of sliding on all fours.

Someday, I hope to be able to go to some of those classes you each have enjoyed.

Archived