Quilter in NYT

Take a look at this article on a quilter in The New York Times!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/garden/12qna.html?_r=1

I love this quote:

I just want to say that it’s extremely upsetting to see quilts and patchwork projects being sold for next to nothing on Etsy. You’ll see these elaborate, queen-size quilts for $300. That’s pennies an hour. So much of a person goes into a quilt. It’s an artistic labor of love that deserves respect. I think the quilt makers of the world need to rise up and start throwing elbows.

So very, very, very TRUE!!

Interesting quilter, and article. The whole $300 quilt on Etsy or Ebay debate is a real can of worms. I guess every consumer has to decide if they want quality of things over quantity of things. Maybe one day Americans will smarten up and look beyond the surface of where their dollars are going to the affect their spending habits are having on people. There is a huge price to pay for filling our homes up with "cheap stuff". Ok off my soap now..... too much coffee this morning. :)

Interesting article and interesting comments. Yes, many Quilts on Etsy, Ebay, Artfire, DaWanda etc. are under priced, may are overpriced. One has to look at the economic situation of individuals, the demographic area and if they are making/selling their craft as a hobby or business or just make a few pennies to pay a bill or two. These are tuff times and pricing Quilts is akin to machine quilting any size Quilt for $40.00 batting included...and yes, I see these kind of Ads in current Quilting Magazines on a regular basis. Makes you wonder....

Interesting............I am quite sure the prices people in NY will pay vary greatly from the prices people in small town, rural America will pay. I have some quilts on Esty and listed at rock bottom prices and still no bites. Ebay is a total waste of time to sell quilts. I am not out to make a huge profit, but would like to sell some of my quilts, getting back the money invested in them so I can make more quilts. Recycle so to speak. This is my hobby but if I can make a little extra on the side, that's great. People are brainwashed with the $29.99 ANY SIZE "quilts" you can get in the Penny's catalog. They look great, but after a short time and one washing they start to fall apart. People can't see that. As mentioned many times before, non-quilters have NO idea of the time, supplies, equipment that goes into making a quilt. I have been asked so many times.............."Can you whip up a quilt for us to raffle next weekend?" When I tell them that isn't possible and I would need at least 3 months, they look at me like I am an idiot. Oh well............that's life. I love my hobby and will continue as long as my mind and body cooperate. :)

Archived