NEEDLE JUST BROKE

i am sewing along and all of the sudden, my needle breaks into 3 pieces. i didnt hit anything, was just freewheeling along - wasnt even on a seam and it just broke. should i put in another and try again?

i did notice that it was real hot wheni brushed up against earlier - but would that break it?

any ideas????

ok- i decided to just try a new needle and see what happened. it seems fine. what could have caused this? i would really like to know.

i also noticed that there are many metal shards all over the top of the quilt - almost like the needle shattered???

has anyone else had this happen? i am always reading all the posts and dont recall seeing anything like this.

If a loose needle was the cause, I strongly recommend changing the needle set screw to right side hole if you are right handed. I find that I can get mine nice and tight with my right hand, but I had my needle fall out when I still had the screw on the left side.

Let us know how things turn out please.

Good ideas from everyone. I had a needle break so insidiously, I didn't know it, it kept stitching just fine, but, breaking the threads in the QoV. I had to patch it, notify the owner and June at QoV.

The needle actually broke BETWEEN the eye and the tip... eye was still complete to handle the thread. I about died on the spot.

RitaR

that must've been it - it makes total sense that the needle came loose. i had just changed the needle at the start of the quilt. the screw was on the left and i am right-handed. i probably hadnt tightened it enough.

i replaced it and everything seems fine - altho i did just run over there to make sure it is good and tight. i finished the quilt with the new needle no problem.

thanks everybody - i feel better now.

rita - how unlucky can you get to have it break between the eye and the tip? scary!

Meg, posed this question to CRS (cute rocket scientist). He had two thoughts:

1. The the needle was ever so slightly bent and was just barely rubbing on another piece of metal during stitching, causing the tip to heat up. The difference in the heat gradient between the tip and the top increased the metal stress beyond it ability to hold together, so it shattered.

2. That the needle didn't get the proper heat treatment when it was manufactured, so couldn't take the stress.

Bottom line; you got a bad needle.:(

Archived