McKenna Ryan Quilting?

I am just about to start quilting the Storybook farm, lots of animals and farm scenes. The quilting looks pretty simple on the pattern picture, but has anyone done a more elaborate quilting on this type of quilt? Not sure how to handle all the grass, trees, scarecrow, etc. This is to go in our Kenyan Quilt Show, so I would like it have that "wow" factor.

Hi!

If you haven't quilted on multi-layers of fusibles before, remember to use matching or blending thin thread. I bet you can think up some great quilting to accentuate all the figures and scenery. Stitch following the edges, but also put veins in the leaves, curly wool on the sheep, etc. (Is this the one with the "stacked" livestock? My friend just did that as a wallhanging.)

I love McKenna Ryan stuff! Also remember that the fusibles are unforgiving so stitch carefully. The holes will be permanent if you need to unstitch.

Most importantly, have fun!

I just finished one using McK designs...the ones of her underwater creatiions. It was on a king size quilt that I designed and made a panel with 6 of her blocks.

As far as quilting them..........I had no problem. They were pretty densely quilted....bubbles , pebbles, water, echoing, etc. I used Floriani Thread with Bottom Line in the bobbin and some King Tut, size 4 needle. Most of what I make is done with fusible and and I do alot of stitching. These machines do a fabulous job on the fusibles. Do try,as Linda said,not to rip out stitches. but if you have to just use a little, damp foam paint brush and gently rub out the little holes

Have fun with your quilt.

This is an older one, Story Book farm. I did one years ago, but was never quite happy with my quilting (pre-quilting machine and frame). Since there are tons of fusible pieces, I still plan on roughly going around each piece, but then doing more creative things like leaves on the trees, etc. Those big spots are obvious colours choices, but for the outlining? Would you use invisible? Or change colours all the time?

But you are right about the unforgiving needle holes. I have a lovely little sample to try stitching out some different things, but thanks for the idea about how to make the holes smaller.

Big breath, here I go for round two.

Deanna

Hmm. Silk thread. Good to know. I've recently done a multilayer fusible (not McK) with Monopoly, and it worked fine. Wouldn't the silk be a lot of thread color changes? Just a thought.

I've got a McK of my own coming up in about 2 years, I've only made 2 blocks so far, but looking forward to quilting it.

Guest Linda S

I've done a couple of these quilts without too much wow factor in the background, but what I wanted to say was that instead of quilting around the applique's, you might find you need to quilt them down. Nearly every one I have done has had the pieces popping up as I quilted. I used Madeira Monolon of the appliques, I think Bottom Line in the backgrounds. I actually enjoy quilting these -- I just sort of follow the grass and the water, and the trees, etc. They are fun.

Linda

I find that these types of quilts are time to 'play' and just let your imagination take you wherever. Sounds like you have the idea, leaves on trees, etc. I usually use a 3.5 needle, but as far as thread, I have used lots of different types of Superior thread, from So Fine! to King Tut and lots in between.

Have fun and enjoy. Look forward to seeing a picture of it.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have read all these replies concerning McKenna ryan appliqué. I have the Aurora Ridge laser cut kits. I would like to sew the raw edges down on my Millie using 3.5 needle using monopoly thread. I saw a video on you tube where she sewed the entire background pieces, borders together without the appliqué on it. Then she stabilized the quilt layers(top, batting, backing) with stitching in the ditch. Then the appliqué is all added. My question: what batting should I use?cotton for its thinness? Do I need a special setup on my longarm for the use of monopoly thread? It is suggested to really loosen the tension. What thread in the bobbin shoul I use, like can I use rewound super bobs? Has anyone used superior so fine instead of monopoly thread? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've never done this but have a couple of thoughts.  (Why is it I can easily come up with this stuff for others but am stumped figuring out what to do on my own quilts?)

Batting - what's the purpose of the quilt? will it be used or is it just for display?  A layer of wool over a cotton/poly blend is a recommendation I hear a lot for show quilts or ones that will hang on a wall.  I would think you could get a trapunto effect if you added some batting between the applique and the quilt top.  Your quilt would have a consistent thickness and the applique areas would be puffier.  

You can use the search feature in the forum to search for "monopoly" and find a few threads about needle size and bobbins.  You could also try a thinner thread (silk or microquilter) on top if you decide not to use monopoly.  

If this were me and I was trying a completely new technique, I'd use some small practice pieces first to see how these variations look.  

Hopefully a few others will chime in and maybe give you some other ideas.