Fill ideas wanted

Ladies, my customer has given me free reign to do whatever i want...I want to try something different. My idea is to Trapunto the blocks that have red in them, and do an e2e fill pattern on the rest of the centre. On the small outside border I want to do something like a greek key....My question is, what kind of a fill would work, and what kind density should it be???? Maybe my idea won't work, or look like I want it to, but I do want try it. I want to create a kind of 3D effect for those blocks that are different.

Any comments gladly accepted and appreciated

post--13461904620712_thumb.jpg

Hi Kerry,

This looks like a fun quilt to experiment with. Here's some different approaches:

-If you are going to do e2e, I'd choose a design that is about 1/3 the size of the blocks, to try to keep it in scale.

-Quilt diagonal lines from corner to corner in each block, mocking the spool block design already in the quilt.

-Bring out the 3-D effect of the blocks on point: Use faux trapunto (2 layers of batting, one thick and one thin), then on each block, quilt every other inner square with a dense fill, leaving the alternate squares unquilted; also quilt the background area surrounding the blocks (next to inner border) with a dense fill. Leave inner border unquilted.

-The border print looks like you could have fun following the curvy lines with quilting.

- You could use a thick red or white thread to help it show.

Archived