Quilt in my hotel room.

On my cross country trip I stayed overnight at the Timber Lodge in Ouray, CO after coming down from the mountains from Durango and seeing such fabulous yellow hillsides covered in brilliant colored leaves to match the yellow of the double lines on the highway that twisted and turned. Even saw my first 10 mph curve sign.

In the hotel room there was this fabulous quilt on the bed and I thought how special it was to have a handmade quilt to sleep under. You can tell by the photograph that it looks well made and was even hand quilted. Enclosed is a picture. The edges were zig zagged to fit the changes in the strips.

In the morning I was collecting my things and found a tag on the corner of the quilt and being curious I read the words Made in China. I was so surprised that something that looked so traditional with our country was actually crafted in China. I know that there is patchwork all around the world. Guess I just wasn't prepared for this.

Vicki

post--13461904820003_thumb.jpg

had to respond to the Made in China comment. A friend and I were driving around the country-side of Kentucky and found an "Amish" restaurant. We stopped for lunch and I got so excited because there were quilts hanging all over and a small store to purchase these quilts. After lunch, we walked all around the restaurant looking at these quilts and I found a tag on one ... Made In China. I went all over the place looking at each and every tag - Made In China. I was so appalled. And then realized that evidently someone had bought this "Amish" restaurant, kept the name, the menu, the personnel ("Amish" wait staff, etc), but had commercialized the place by displaying and selling this Made in China crap. And us stupid tourists were falling for it ... "Oh, look! Amish quilts! Let's buy one!" And I don't care how "lovely" it is, it is still MADE IN CHINA. And I'm not spending my hard-earned USA $$$$ on MIC crap. I check EVERYTHING! sorry. I'll get off my soap box now.

China and India. There are a lot of these tops on Ebay. The bidding usually starts at 29.00, or even 0.00. A non-quilter freind of mine bought several thinking she'd stumbled on a deal. The fabrics are loosly woven, prints are out of square, cheap, stink, and thread just as bad. She paid to have them quilted and the materials and thread they were peiced with started to go the first time she washed them. They just started to disolve. I pointed out to her that the thread they were quilted with was perfectly fine and will be there with the batting and backing long after the top itself has disappeared!

Archived