batting punch out on back

I am having very small puffs of batting coming through on the back side stiching of the quilt I have loaded. I changed the needle still having the problem. Tension adjustment is good, even stiches on top and back. Dark back, Warm & Natural cotton batting. Any suggestions on how to correct would be apprciated.

I had this happen to me only once. It was the backing fabric which was kinda thin. Keep in mind that the batting also has a right side and a wrong side. You will notice that one side is much smoother. The rough side should be against the backing fabric. If not try a smaller needle like 3.5.

My customer told me that they disappeared with the first wash of her quilt. The pokies were very small. I did use a hand embroidery needle with smooth point to kinda poke in the areas that appeared to be larger pokies.

Good luck. Hopefully someone else will have another solution for you.

Also some battings are not for the longarm. Quality batting is really important with this process.

Originally posted by chuckster46

I am having very small puffs of batting coming through on the back side stiching of the quilt I have loaded. I changed the needle still having the problem. Tension adjustment is good, even stiches on top and back. Dark back, Warm & Natural cotton batting. Any suggestions on how to correct would be apprciated.

I've also had pokies when the batting was put in the sandwich upside down. You really have to make sure that the scrim is against the backing and the loft of the batting is toward the top... if you still have trouble, try the smallest, sharpest needle you can use with that particular thread.

Hope you figure it out!

Lisa Thiessen:)

Guest Linda S

Many types of batting have a scrim on one side. A scrim is a thin layer of coating that keeps the batting together and prevents it from poking out when the needle is passed through it. I think Myrna meant to say batting -- if you put the scrim side facing up, the batting will poke out the back.

Linda

I would like confirmation on that, too. The way I learned

it is that the bumpy/rough/non-scrim faces the back-side of

the quilt top. Since the back of the quilt top is pieced with

lots of thread, it seems rough to me. So rough to rough. So

the scrim goes toward the back. That's how I remember it .

Is that right. Or do I need to un-learn this. :D

okay, so on Quilters Dream Bat there is a side that is smooth, but has holes, then the other side is what you are calling the rough side - and the rough side goes against the back of the top?? So for 2 years I have been doing this wrong??? Okay now I know I need a one-on-one, beginning class!!;) MYRNA!!

I had the pokies also about a week ago. I use lots of Hobbs 80/20 and have never had it happen before with it. My customer said that she used a really cheap fabric on the back, she made this quilt for someone else and that's what they had chosen (her usual is from LQS). I do occasionally have it happen with Warm and Natural, I just bought a roll of their new 80/20 blend and am hoping I don't have the same problem. jeri

Interesting how this chat is going.

Smooth side of batting facing up is all I know. That's my way.

Think about the direction your needle is entering the quilt top. Once the needle (at higher speeds) enters the batting if the SOFT is on bottom it would seem it could easily push some batting thru. Maybe that's incorrect.

Just thinking out loud. lol

Archived