storage for customer quilts???

Hey everyone.....I currently have a rubbermaid wardrobe that I use for customer quilts, however they are now spilling out all over. I can't seem to find any wardrobes large enough with just a clothes rod anywhere. What kind of systems do you all use?

I'd appreciate any help.

(I am sooooo unorganized and it is biting me in the butt on a daily basis)

HELP!!!!

Tracey

Maybe you can find a commercial coat hanging system like the hotels use for events. They are metal, with wheels, and very sturdy. Get the optional plastic dustcover unless you put dry cleaner bags over each hanger.

My system is not so organized, but I only take in two months ahead.

LOL, Listen to Mama now, Tracy.. think it through.. What do you Think Will Work For You? We were stuck for a place to put a 35 roll of batting. Himself ended up making a holder which he fastened to the ceiling, put a water pipe in it, with the batting on the pipe. We hkeep the batting from rolling off with a wire clip.. the kind that springs in the middle. Just make sure you have studs to fasten the part up against the ceiling well. I doubt just a nail or screw would work, but a very large Molly bolt would, if reinforced in the attic floor side. Not every one has an attic room above the sewing room.

Some of the gals have rods under their machine tables, or free standing racks, too..

Once I got my sewing rooms organized it gave me a lot more work room.. I love the room it gives, just hate trying to keep it that way. I try to do a clean sweep every couple weeks when we can, and put things back where they belong. ROFL, but it's really Not funny, is that it always seems to make a bigger mess to deal with, when organizing things the first time, or changing things, than we've had to start with.

Good Luck.

Tracy we have a small home (retirement in the country hahah) and my DH build a rack system for 5 rolls of batting in the porch. Under that is a shelf where I store the completed Quilts. The ones yet to be finished are housed in extra large Plastic Tubs with lids I got at Wall mart and they are stacked up in the Utility Room. The Quilts that i sell in my Store are all wrapped in plastic bags and are on a large shelf in the Utility room also. Good thing there are only 2 of us in this house and we don't need much room.....(quilting takes up most of it)

lol @ Monika. I can imagine. I hope there is still room for his tools. ;)

Tracey, try Ikea. Here is a pic of the system I use. I believe it's called 'PAX'. The pants racks are perfect for quilts and you can fit three racks in one shelf(each with a 32" drop) They also have great slide out drawers for thread and notions. I love it and am planning to get another one to sit beside it.

I have one of those large open shelf systems from Ikea and I bag each quilt up with a name and intake # and backing, and batting, and anything else like thread in a clear plastic garb bag. It keeps everything together and I can see at a glance when I am looking for something in particular....I make a habit of pressing most of my customer quilts just before putting them on the frame anyway, they just look better. I've tried to keep them on hangers and find that I still have folds to contend with and still have to give a quick pressing...

Originally posted by ManQuilter

lol @ Monika. I can imagine. I hope there is still room for his tools. ;)

Tracey, try Ikea. Here is a pic of the system I use. I believe it's called 'PAX'. The pants racks are perfect for quilts and you can fit three racks in one shelf(each with a 32" drop) They also have great slide out drawers for thread and notions. I love it and am planning to get another one to sit beside it.

tools are at home in the garage. I put my foot down on that, the house is for Quilts and quilting only! So there

Tracy, I use a very heavy duty closet rack with a canvas zippered cover that I ordered from "The Container Store". It's called the InterMetro Rack with Cover. $239. It easily holds 25-30 finished Queens. Plus there is a shelf below.

I also have one from Lowes and it also has a clear plastic zip cover.

Terry

You guys will not believe what I use. I was driving along one day and saw a wood futon frame next to a dumpster. I checked it out - clean, good condition and perfect for storing customer projects. I stood it on end and it has wood slats. so it's like a large double ladder. Each project just lays over one of the slats. Voila! Great price too!

Archived