Laser Companions -- use from front

I saw these items advertised in Machine Quilters Unlimited Magazine and was curious about them.

I can't figure out how you are supposed to use them. Maybe someone has them and can help.

I'm wondering if you can draw a quilting motif on the ruler, using the guidelines and then trace it with your laser light from the front of the machine. Then erase the design when done and reuse it again later.

It would be easier than chalking or marking each individual block.

http://www.longarmsupplies.net/search.aspx?find=laser+companion

Georgene,

Just an idea in the same area.

Can you put your Panto piece on the Circlelord Baseplate plate for the front stylus, then use your front laser light to follow the panto? You can use an 12" or 18" square template to

hold it. You could even tape a stencil to it. You might have to take off the stylus holder, but, then you could move and center the panto the same way as you would a template.

Place the needle in the center of your block, and then move the

CL until the laser light is at the center point of the pattern.

Right Heidi,

What I was thinking is that maybe you use the lines and circles on the ruler to draw a design evenly, similiar to Pam Clark's method of quilting within the lines.

Only with these thingamajigs, you only have to draw the design once, instead of marking each block.

I JUST FOUND a FREE VIDEO showing how these are used.

http://thequiltingschool.com/free/45-longarmsuppliesnet/455-lasercompanion.html

I'm gonna watch it now.

OK, I watched it. It doesn't do what I was hoping. It's just a place to mount (with tape) and center a motif to quilt. Oh well, I don't need to buy it. Can save my money for something else.

And Michael, what you said would work well. I was just thinking this thing could be used for drawing motifs custom fitted for each block.

These are very similar to a set I got with my Gammill. You put a paper pattern between the to pieces. The score lines are to help you center and align the motif. I'm not to fond of useing the lazer light (just prefer free hand). But it does work well. The long one is the base and the little one goes on top of the pattern. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Archived