Hobbs tuscany bleached cotton batting

Has anyone successfuly used this batting? A customer brought me a package, and it seems unsuitable for the longarm. It was almost impossible to load...very clingy, and stretchy. I am afraid to use it, since I don't want to battle it through a king sized quilt. Is it me, or is this stuff not longarm friendly?

I know I use a variety of Tuscany battings frequently. It's needle punched and made specifically for longarming. I wonder if you just got a bad one? I simply haven't had any problems, nor have I heard of any. Since I live not far from the factory, their products are readily available and used by the majority of quilters here locally.

Sorry I'm not more help. I wonder if you could call Hobbs? It may be that a spritz with some water mist and 15 minutes in the dryer will resolve the issues.

Debbie in Austin

I called Hobbs, and they said the Tuscany Bleached Cotton batting does not have scrim, and is not suitable for longarm quilting. So..maybe what you all are using is something different. The customer service rep said I would "definitely want something with scrim, especially in a quilt of this size." So...now we all know for certain! Thanks!

Interesting...here is the blurb from the website:

Tuscany Bleached Cotton is made with fine 100% USA cotton. It's carded, and specially needle punched to prevent bunching/shifting and is completely washable. It will shrink 3-5% like all needle punched 100% cotton batting. It can be quilted up to 4" apart. Bleached cotton should be used with light or white fabrics to eliminate the shading of darker battings.

The Tuscany line only has bleached and unbleached cotton, then goes into wools, etc.

http://www.hobbsbondedfibers.com/products-retail.html

Debbie in Austin

Yeah, I read that, too. Also, the package says for Hand or Machine quilting....but the rep said they meant domestic machine. That's a different layering process. You lay the backing out flat, put the batting on, then lay the top over it then pin the heck out of it with safety pins. It doesn't require tugging on the batting or pulling it with rollers. Trust me, this stuff does not work on the longarm. It is lightly needle punched, but does not hold up to tugging at all.

My first experience with QD Request was a queen-size and very difficult to manipulate. It immediately went on my "will not accept" list. With all the battings available, there is no reason to struggle with such a delicate product.

The original packaging for the Request battings stated "extra care needed for use with a longarm"--which was printed on the back side of the label. Now, there is nothing on the label about usage, so it is necessary to make the decision yourself if you want to use/accept it.

Archived