Need Quilting Ideas Please

Hello,

I have a situation where I agreed to help quilt this quilt! (What was I thinking?) BUT, I need some help on what and how to do it. It's suppose to be custom and maybe have swirling snow in the background.What does swirling snow look like?:o Since I don't do custom, I need all the help you custom quilters can give, PLEASE....... I hope I'm not writing too late for anyone to response. TIA

Such a cute quilt!!

I do not see swirling snow in the background--not with them being such different colors. Just my opinion of course. If you are hesitant/scared by the "custom" word, remember that this one is sooo much about the content--those cute reindeer--that you just need to apply some texture to make it shine.

Starting from the outside--piano keys--which can match the stripes and be accomplished with your channel locks or a nudge if you are adventuresome.

That three-stripe sashing can be treated as one piece with ribbon candy or a ribbon meander covering the width of the sashing. Or stitch three squiggly lines--one up each color--all along, if you want something easier.

Now, those pesky reindeer--use your favorite filler design--the one you find the easiest, use thread to match and stitch all the brown--each one the same. Think how good you will be doing this filler when you finish! Try a soft swirl or even a stipple.

If you have an invisible thread, use it to stitch the holly and berries, the antlers (stitch just inside the outer edge) and do the same with the red part of the hat. The white fur on the hat cries for some small swirls for texture.

Pick another overall design--like peacock/paisley or easy-peasy loops to stitch all the backgrounds--all the same. When you get to the names, stitch all around the perimeter of the name to make it stand out. Then fill the rest of the background with your overall.

Match thread to the background unless you have a variegated that will work on all of them.

Here's another hint if you are scaring yourself with the thought of doing this--never start at the top left block! Start your adventure with Cupid or Vixen--any wonkies or mis-stitches will be worked out in that first block and then you will sail through the rest! At the end, you can decide if you need to adjust/re-stitch anything, but in an interior block you will be surprised at how well it is hidden!!

I love that Rudolph has a bright red background!

I'd tell you to relax and have fun, but you won't relax until it is finished and you then can say "I do custom!!!":P

Thank you all for your help.

Sheri - I don't know the name of the pattern, and this was done years ago, but I will ask.

Linda, Linda, Linda........... You come highly recommended. Thanks for the suggestions. I do have a question or two: Do you mean draw like an oval or cloud shape around the names? I can do ribbon candy or squiggles, swirls, meandering, peacocks and loops. I'm not sure about outlining inside the antlers. I don't have any invisible thread that I've ever used on the LA. The holly leaves are appliqued with invisible thread. And I think I can work around all the buttons!! Thanks again, for your help. If anyone wants to draw or offer any more suggestions, please feel free, the more the merrier I always say!!!

To answer the question--quilt a cloud shape around the names. Ovals are nice, but hard to quilt without a template. More whimsical for this cute country-style quilt. Also, you can quilt a cloud around the name and then start your overall design from there.

As for the antlers and holly leaves--either outline stitch them, or quilt a quarter inch inside the applique--use the edge of the hopping foot as a guide. Then maybe a vein or two in each leaf.

You will do great---we want pictures when you are finished !!

(I will add--Yikes! Buttons!! Why do they do that to us??;))

The name of the pattern is "Reindeer Games" it was in the Peppermint & Holly Berries Art To Heart quilt pattern book that was used to promote Nancy Halvorsen's Peppermint & Holly Berries fabric line for Benartex back in 2006.

I love her Christmas fabrics and love her patterns, yes I do have the pattern and yes you can still purchase it most everywhere on the web, just google it. :)

Archived