Last Quilt Before Christmas

Let's see, how do I make a long story short? Last spring/summer, my niece asked if I'd help her make a quilt for her daughter's first big-girl bed. Our challenge was to make something that was feminine but that coordinated with the blue-gray walls in the room that would be her new bedroom. Oh, and she didn't want a traditional block quilt. We came up with a design, selected purple and pink as accent colors to go with the blue-gray background, and I started to teach her how to quilt.

She put together the background squares and did the majority of the applique. Just before we were ready to quilt it, she decided they should get a full-size bed instead of a twin! That led us to inserting strips of the two accent colors and adding borders (actually, it was a good thing, because it made for a much more attractive end product). We both worked on the quilting, she sewed the binding to the front, and I hand sewed it to the back - all except for the last 18" or so, because I wanted her to be the one put in the last stitches and be able to say it was done!

I have a couple of pictures of the finished project. I'm anxious to get more once it's done and on the bed. Here's one of it on one of our beds.

post--13461905195527_thumb.jpg

Archived