" IS BACK TRACKING ENOUGH"

I've now done 2 paying quilts, :) & my question is when you restart after you have a thread break (for what ever reason), is it alright to do a back track (like when you are sewing) or should you always leave the thread long, knot & tie, then barry the ends.?

Is a back track good enough, for just panto's, (quilts not for show) or will it come apart after several washings,

Is what I'm doing o.k.???

Hi Gerry,

I don't usually bury my threads. If the thread breaks, sometimes I will take out some of the stitches so that it won't be so obvious where I restarted. But when I restart, I take a few small stitches on top of the previous stitches. I sure hope it doesn't come apart. I haven't had any complaints so far.

Char

Guest Linda S

Generally, I'm a knot and bury girl. I know most folks don't do that. If I'm in the middle of a dense background fill or something like that, I'll just backtrack.

Linda

Good question Geraldine!!

That's what I do as well.

Tish

Originally posted by GERALDINE

I've now done 2 paying quilts, :) & my question is when you restart after you have a thread break (for what ever reason), is it alright to do a back track (like when you are sewing) or should you always leave the thread long, knot & tie, then barry the ends.?

Is a back track good enough, for just panto's, (quilts not for show) or will it come apart after several washings,

Is what I'm doing o.k.???

Hay Caron:)

What about a small dot of fray check on a new stop/start, that happens in the middle of a quilt, would that be a good idea, I mean there will be times where there could be alot of the stuff, if a LAer is having breakage prob's, but if the thread is slippery maybe it's a good plan.

I have never used fray check, so I'm not sure of the feel of it when it drys,

can you see it? & would it help for the long haul ?

I learned this from someone on this list I think for starting again after a thread break: Go back to a point or inside corner, pull your threads out to this point and tie a square knot and bury, restart your line at this point by taking a few tiny stitches (I bury this thread tail) and go. If I can't remove enough stitches to tie off the thread, I start back about four stitches using very tiny stitches, bury that thread tail, and go. It does take extra time, but its worth it not having to worry about the thread coming. Self -threading needles help a lot for this chore.

I haven't pulled stitches to bury knots when I have had thread break, but I usually make sure the thread hasn't made a nest on the back, then I stitch some very small stitches right over the break. It seems to work for me, but there is probably a better way. Barb, I understand what you are saying about pulling thread and burying ends, but sometimes my stitches are way to small to pull out. Or in some fabrics it is very hard to pull stitches without messing up the fabric.

Your welcome, Katie. When I pick out stitches, I use these nifty little scissors, called "squizzers"....they have a hook where a regular pair of scissors would have a blade. The hook makes it really easy and safe to lift a stitch and then when you squeeze the handle the stitch is cut. I can pick out the tiniest stitch with these scissors a magnifying glass, and lots of patience. Sometimes, after getting a few stitches loose, I'll hold the top thread with a pair of tweezers, and snip the bobbin thread that's showing.....quite a few of the top stitches will come loose that way. I think you can buy these squizzers from Columbia River.

:) O.K. so ,when do you knot & bury your tails, as soon has it happens, or do you leave the tails then knot & bury all your stops & starts after you are finnished & have the quilt off the leaders.

I'm not sure how you would go about burying your tails when the quilt is still on the frame.:)

Sorry if I sound a bit dumb, but I haven't any one else to ask these silly questions. I have to know I'm giving my clients the best, & that it will last.

I don't want to asume that what I think is the only right way, (back tacking) & not concider there may be a better way (knot & bury).;)

Thanks so much for your opinions, feed back is so important to me.

Gerry,

When I knot and bury threads, I do it before I advance the quilt, otherwise you can lose them. I also use a piece of transparent tape to hold the tails down and out of the way of the next line of stitching. I can see the tape when I'm finished with that row, and know where I have to start burying threads. If I can't reach the area from the front or back, then I advance the quilt until I can reach it. I would hate having to go back throught the whole quilt and do this once the quilting was finished!

Geraldine: I was the recipient of a quilt that had "several" loose knots. I was less than pleased as I was being paid to make the quilt. I could not deliver it to my customer that way. I felt really uncomfortable going back to the quilter so I repaired it myself on my Bernina. I never went back to the LA and bought a Millie for myself. Jo-Ellen

Manda: :)

I'm all ways up for a new & easy way to do something, could you give me a quick run down on how Myrna did it, or maybe Myrna could explain it.

jobuck::(

That's what I am afraid of, I don't want to give clients somthing that woudn't last, or not have them come back, if they are not happy.

Hay Barb: :)

I had thought of useing a coloured sticker, to mark the spot were the tails were, I guess I had better start PPPing the bury & knot method.

Myrna::) if you're able, I could use a quick lesson.

Hi Gerry, I always bury my thread tails as I go. If my bobbin runs out or if I get a thread break, I unpick to a corner, point or some suitable place, fasten those threads to a pin with a yellow head, (just wrap the threads around the pin ), then when I have pulled up my bobbin thread to start again, I also wrap these threads around the same pin, and off I go. When I finish quilting that section, I will go back to the pin, knot all four threads together and thread them in a 4" doll needle, then weave this in between the three layers of the quilt. If I can, I will go through a previously stitched area, which further helps to secure the thread tails. Clear as mud?

Myrna, I am with Gerry, how in the world do you bury a knot? Oh it is probably just like hand quilting when I do applique, right? not real good at making a quilter's knot yet, any suggestions how to make that easier?

Gerry, I am so glad you aren't afraid to ask all the questions I think of in the middle of my ppp sessions. only thing is by the time I get back into the house and then to a computer, my brain has had a freeze and they all frozen up and forgotten until the next time:D

HI Gerry

Your question is what has bothered me as well since I got my machine. It scared the heck out of me that I would have hundreds of stops and starts and have to bury that tail of thread each time. I can't imagine how long that would take to finish a quilt....then have to go back and bury those ends.

Then I bought one of McTavish's books/DVD's and she doesn't bury her ends. She works so fast so you really have to look to see what she's doing but it looks like she just sews on spot for a few stitches, then ships them off. So that's what I'm doing. I've only done a few quilts so I've not had anyone complain yet.....and they're for friends so I doubt they'd say anything anyway. :^)

I'm glad you asked the question tho cause it's been bothering me as well.

Thanks!

Rita

Archived