ever quilt with MasterPiece?

Guest Linda S

I'm hesitant to use it because it's not strong. I'd hate for a client to come and tell me my stitches were breaking in her quilt. I don't use Maxi-lock for the same reason.

It's not recommendded for long arm quilting. That said I have used it for background quilting and don't remember having any problems. It's a thin thread so did well for that use. I don't think I'd use it for a quilt for a child that may be headed for some abuse.

I have used it as the top thread on my Millie when it first came out - I didn't realize it was supposed to be a piecing thread - not a long arm thread. I threaded it through only one hole of the guide near the tensioner and keep the tension fairly loose. I had no problem and no breakage. The quilt I used it on is a wallhanging and I have not had any problems with it - well almost. I used a prewound (I think a Superior bottom line thread) in the bobbin and I did have one spot where my backtracking on my last stitch did not hold. The two slick threads didn't tie off very nicely but that was the only problem and the only spot I had a problem.

I don't quilt for others so can't testify about the wear on customer quilts but I have a quilt on my bed that I quilted with quite a lot of Maxilock thread. It has had hard use for 4 years now and so far so good. Personally I use Metro Embroidery thread almost exclusively for quilting now. Love them.

I use it all the time. The reason it is not recommended for long arm machines is b/c our machines are high speed. Halo is not recommended for the LA either but it can be done. When using special threads you have to make special adjustments.

I have not found a thread I can not run. I would try Razzle Dazzle if could get a needle with an eye that big!

Masterpiece is my absolute favorite thread for longarm quilting. When at Innovations last September I asked Bob Purcell why it's not recommended for machine quilting and why they only had a few neutral colors at the show. He said they have to put that disclaimer on the thread because MOST longarm machines can't use it, but APQS machines can.

I use it all the time with my Millie & CompuQuilter, and have NEVER had a thread break. It looks SO luxurious on the quilt! :)

Archived