Top Thread Looping around the Needle

My top thread occasionally loops itself around the needle, of course it then breaks.

I can catch a glimpse of it flapping around, and if I stop I can then unloop the thread from around the needle. Which means I have to cut the threads and start again.

Happened with Invisifil, now also with So Fine. New Needle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Lyn

I've been experiencing the same problem and can't figure out why it is doing that. I've wondered if it isn't a timing issue, but since it happens sporadically, I'm not wanting to jump in and start messing with the timing. I'm interested to hear if anyone has any ideas!

Thanks,

Anna

I had this problem a while ago and the thread net made my problems worse because of tension issues. The solution was to put a small piece of batting in the very first loop above the cone holder. It took me a few tries to figure out how much to use but once I got that I have had no more problems. ;) I read this or saw this somewhere I think on this forum.

Great idea! I'm fighting this today myself. Am using BottomLine on top, prewound BL in bottom, double bat (wool and W&N), and it's a wholecloth. From time to time, it simply happens. I've loosened my top tension, with no effect. I did note it usually does happen when I go faster, rather than slower. (I try to keep slow...but it's hard sometimes!)

I'll try a net. It had crossed my mind, but then I decided it probably wouldn't help. I didn't think that could be the problem since I already had foam in the thread mast, and I hardly ever have to use a net...silly me!

Thanks for the advice...Any other thoughts are welcome!

Debbie in Austin

I use thread nets on ALL my cones, and keep the batting in place for ALL also!

I've found a really good thread net. Go to your local drug store and ask if they have the 2" continuous roll of stockings for diabetics. Maybe it's not stockings, maybe it's bandages. It's a 2" wide tube. Anyways, I bought several yards for .38/yard and cut it off to fit my cones. It is a little linty where cut at first, but soon stops. Try it, you'll like it! And sooo inexpensive!! ;);) If you are not sure, just buy 1/2 yard.

Remember I stated I was having this same issue using BottomLine? Well, I decided to go up a size in needle, to an 18, and it stopped! Fast or slow, sews like a dream now. I believe Superior recommends a 16 for BottomLine thread, if I remember correctly, but the 18 solved the issue for me.

Just a thought :)

Archived