An already quilted quilt ?

I just had one come to me that was about 1/3 quilted and badly. I told her if I put my work and my name to this quilt the old had to come out. She is paying me to take it out. It's done. Ready to quilt it, but not sure how. It would have had lots of tucks in it and would have looked awful. I'm learning to say "no".

Vicki:

I just re-quilted a small top that was quilted with a large meander. I left the previous quilting in place, and took it out row by row (a real pain). It turned out really nice. No tucks, pleats or issues. I just quilted right up to the binding and pulled the threads up and buried them right next to the binding. The most difficult part was removing the previous quilting row by row. I felt it would help it stay stabile.

It would be a case-by-case basis for me. If you think you can manage it, you probably can. Make no promises, but you may be surprised at how easy it is.

I took an already-quilted "decorator's" bedspread--quality silk-y fabric, more like home-dec, with a large computerized floral design quilted on. It looked like they had used dental floss to quilt it and the thread had disintegrated in spots. The customer blamed it on her hubby "sitting on the bed to put on his socks and shoes." :o Okay...

I loaded it in a very funky way and re-quilted it following the large needle holes left by the missing stitches. It was continuous of course, so pretty quick to do. I found lots more weak spots which I over-quilted and extended the life of the $1200 (!!!) bedspread for several more years. I couldn't believe she paid that much initially for something from a "decorator".

Vicki I re-quilted a king size , client hated the quilting in the body of quilt so she ripped all of it out , quilt had three large borders , I loaded it on my fame thinking I was going to have a real mess , I got it on the fame with no problems :D quilting it was fine had to be carefull when advancing to make sure every thing was smooth .

I think you could you do it

I quilted a quilt that was not quilted but had been bound. I warned the gal that it might get tucks.

I put a lot of pins into it to baste it together before I loaded it to try and keep things even. It looked great when done. There were a few tucks in the back, but nothing major. The gal was thrilled.

My advice is to try it, but put a disclaimer on the estimate regarding tucks and have the customer sign it acknowledging that they know this could happen.

Julia

If you're just adding some motifs etc--I use those L.A. Clips and do a section at a time as you can put any part of the quilt on the rollers and pull and stretch to get the bags out with out pinning it on. Just be careful to keep the top bunched up in the panto side so it doesn't get caught in the wheel tracks.I use them a lot for on points at a diagonal to quilt the whole square on the larger ones and avoid half patterns etc. I've also used then to cross hatch quilts. You may have to safetypin on some muslin strips so you can get to the corner enough to quilt it.---grasshopper

Archived