Thread coming out of tension disk

I'm quilting along, perfect tension. Then my machine makes a nasty noise and creates a rat's nest on the back. The culprit? My thread is coming loose from the tension disk. I have no idea why...it happens infrequently with no rhyme or reason.

I'm using Metro EMB on top and a magna-glide delight in the bobbin.

Anyone have any suggestion as to why this might be happening??

Embroidery thread seems to slip off the cone and get caught on the rough edges at the bottom.

If you take a thread net, and fold it in half, then take the raw edges and slip them inside the bottom of the cone. Slide it far enough into the cone, so that there is only about a 1/2 inch left, and fold that over the bottom of the cone, covering the plastic edge and up the cone just a bit. It keeps the thread from sliding down and creating tension or breakage problems.

jmho

g

Yes, I use thread nets on any slippery thread and it really helps!!!

As an example, last year I bought a box of thread, all partially used, and therefore not in a cello wrapper. These were all Rainbow cones. By the time they went through the mail and I received them, most of the thread was off of the cones and puddled like a giant rats next in the carton! Boo, hoo. I wasted a bunch of money. Had they been shipped with thread nets, I'll bet the thread would have still been on the cones. Now, as soon as I open a new cone of slippery thread, I put a net on it and store it that way, too. It really, really does help.

Well, ladies, I tried all your suggestions and ultimately...none of them were the culprit! First I tightened the top tension, but that caused the bobbin to poke through. Then I checked for any sharp edges and "sanded" them off. Still no change. Then I put on my thinking cap and realized that I'd re-threaded differently through the thread guide above the disks. I changed the thread pattern, used all three holes and, you guessed it. It works. Then I read about the thread net; put one on and the thread promptly broke. Readjusted the top tension, it broke again. Took the thread net off...I'm good.

I love these machines and the fact that you can usually work through all issues, especially with a little help from your friends!:P:P:P

Archived