Prepped for hand, What would you do?

I received a king size star quilt tonight that the owner was originally going to hand quilt. It is already pin basted and trimmed. I figure I will have to baste something on the backing edges to put it on the machine but I'm concerned now about the batting she wants to use. It 's really fluffy. Would you leave the safety pins in place and start in the middle and work out? I'm afraid if I take the pins out, I'll run out of back before I get anywhere near done. Anyone have experience with this situation before?

My advice is to take the pin basting out and load the top onto the machine, as you would any other top to be long arm machine quilted. If the back is not large enough, she will need to provide another back. You will likely run into puckers, especially on a king-sized quilt, if it is not properly stretched onto the rollers, rather than pin-basted.

I would only use the puffy batting, if it is a brand suitable for long arm machines, otherwise there will be problems.

Be firm about what you can do with your long arm machine and the requirements -- the prep and materials for handquilting are completely different.

Cee, I recently quilted a quilt that was brought to me in the same way, I ended up having the customer take out the pins and what little basting she had done and provide a new backing and batting that was not so thick. She was very happy with the quilt when I finished it.

Cee, I agree with the

A wonderful lady brought me one that her daughter had made and started to quilt before her death. The mother wanted to have it finished for her grandson. Well I ttok the basting out and remove the "Batting". It was terriblel!!!! I quilted it, added the binding and finished it and found on the quilt top where her daughter had emboridered her name qand date. I can't tell you how happy she was. Only that she saia her grandson would have to wait to get the quilt. Her joy was worth every bit of the effort I made!

Thanks all for your advice. I have a bit of time before it is scheduled and I think you all are right that I need to have her provide a different back. If she doesn't, I don't think she will be happy with it as it would require a lot of post quilting trimming to make it fit. I can probably work with the batting but even then it will be questionable. I told her about the pins and was surprised when the quilt came that it was still pinned. I'll take it apart and that will give me justification that I have "examined" what I have to work with and let her know.

Be careful with the batting. When you tug on it to make sure it stays in place it cannot be tighter than the top or back. This leads to issues with the thread locking and can cause skipped stitches. Just ask me how I know (after having to frog a queen because her batting that was ONLY just a tad bigger than the top).....

Cee K, I agree with the others too. Sometimes I have to remind myself to be strong to the customer, and not give in to what they imagine to be the quilting process with their quilt. I've done a few that have been partially quilted, some by hand some by domestic machine, they turned out ok but for anything that has only been prepped, you definetly get the best results from starting afresh. If the batting is too puffy and the backing too short they're just facts, present them to the customer with your requirements which is correct size of both batting and backing. I've ended up taking pins out myself and then worrying over the quilt the entire time re lengths etc, just not worth it. We're professional quilters, let her know the requirements and enjoy the process.

Archived