Basting quilt for handquilter...

What is the fast way you have found to baste a quilt for a hand quilter? It is boring as can be...not to mention slow, slow and slow...eggads...it tries my patience.

I am open to ideas to make this a more pleasant job...or am I just imagening it could be pleasant? I don't think the boring aspect can be changed...there is just no way to make it creative.

I am almost tempted to say "no" when quilters ask.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

I'm not sure how to explain how I do it, but it takes me no more than an hour to baste a large quilt. I charge $40 for any size...so to me that's a good hour's work!

I have the machine on medium speed w/o the stitch regulator. I sew a design that kind of looks like the top of a castle...across, down, across, up, etc...then when you get to next row it creates a kind of a grid. I move the machine fairly fast so that the stitches are at least an inch long.

It's not the most exciting thing, but the quilters are happy not to have to baste, and like I said, it's a quick 40 bucks.

I basted a very large heavily appliqued, hand stitched quilt and I just did a grid..Manual mode and put on the channel locks and pulled it across about every 6 inches. When I came down the other direction I just went to the front roller, cut the thread leaving about a 3 in tail to make it easy to pull out for the quilter, when I rolled I just started a new length where I had left off and so this makes it easy to pull out these 18" lengths running down the quilt. If stitches get big, who cares?

Hester:D

Please, give us a picture! I also baste for a hand quilter and it is SO slow, that I am out of pocket, but I call it my pay-back time for all of my good fortune. I go the forward, down, across, up, way as well, but I use my one stitch button for each stitch and it is interminally slow. I will definitely try a different method next time.

My threads catch too. So I quilted in an M or W shape. That helped, but my M's and W's kept getting smaller, so I went back to rows:o And it took forever...

I like the ideas suggested above and will try one or two if I ever get another one for a handquilter. They don't come in to my studio very often.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Wow,

What a great thread, I had three basting jobs last week and two more for this week and they are on my last nerve.... SO SLOOOOOOOWWWWW. The handquilters here insist on a 4 inch grid, no M's or X's must be squares...

I'm with Cheryl, I am thinking about saying no in the future.

Thanks for all of the info! I'll try to insert a photo..

<a  href=2098666760012556131tLaFlM_th.jpg' alt='2

Teresa,

I should have explained my M's or W's better...I flatten the top of them so the stitching makes 3 sides of a box, then the next row down I stitch 3 sides of a box with the top of the new box being the bottom of the box on the previous row. Since I was making only one box per row it decreased the chances of catching threads. But, my boxes got smaller...so it took longer:( Then I went back to rows and that was a little faster, not much but it counts:)

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quiltling

Sandy Hook, Va

I have finished :) my two remaining basting jobs for the week. That is it for a while (I hope) now on to the fun stuff....

Cheryl, I tried the boxed method, alas they wanted rows OH and tie the rows off, no strings....

Very helpful topic, thanks ladies..

LOL since it's done for the week!:P

Archived