Shipping yet again...

So I found the perfect machine for me and now I'm trying to figure out how to get it across 5 or so states to me. The problem is that there is no box for the rails. Having APQS ship an empty box to me is prohibitively expensive (like $800). Any freight company wants them packaged up - palletized or crated up. I'm just not sure how to proceed. Anyone have any ideas?

Sue

Hey Sue,

The boxes that came with the rails were just a block of wood at each end and those were I believe bolted to the rails. Maybe if you did that and then cut boxes together to make them long enough that would work. I don't think 14 ft poles would fit in my highlander or I'd bring them back for you next month. I can't beleive APQS would charge 800 for empty boxes to be shipped! Wow I'm definitely in the wrong business!

Moving and freighting companies can help you. Look for a local one and call them about boxing a bulky item. Sometimes they will direct you to another company and sometimes they will give you an estimate if you plan to ship with them. If you are purchasing this machine, what does your seller say? They should be able to work on it from their end as well if they want to make the sale.

If worse comes to worse, drive there and rent a trailer. If you pick them up yourself you can leave them unboxed and just secure them in the trailer so they don't roll. Just a thought.

Carol, gas prices have sent shipping costs through the roof. I think estimated shipping for a Millie out here to the Pacific NW is now almost $500, where it used to be about $350. But even with that, $800 is just a LITTLE steep!:o

Like I said, I might have the exact cost of shipping the empty box a bit too high, but it was so high it was immediately discarded and I didn't even write it down.

Well, thanks for all your help everyone, but it turns out the seller has had a change of heart about selling the machine, so shipping is no longer a problem.

Sue

Sue: Go to the website U-Ship. You post your shipment, and haulers bid on it. These are small independent haulers, and several levels of shipping service are offered, so whatever your needs are, there's someone who will do whate you need. I had a machine shipped to me a year ago. The shipper went in , helped disassemble the machine, loaded it in his truck, and delivered to my door, then helped me haul the pieces into my house. I didn't have to worry about shipping cartons (although the original box for the head was used), or pallets, or anything. You just have to be patient about delivery dates. The haulers must arrange other shipments going the same way. It took about 2 weeks from the time I accepted a bid (it cost $550 BTW) until it was delivered. My hauler did a great job.

Check the website out. Jim

When I bought my Millie I flew to NC and rented a truck. My sister also flew into NC and we took a cab to the truck place. We went to the seller's house tried it out and disassembled it. We (mostly my sister) drove the truck to FL. I think we rented a 14' truck but a smaller one might work if you placed the rails on the diagonal in the truck.

It was quite an adventure. My sister likes to joke that it was like Lucy and Ethel buy and move a longarm!

Good luck finding a used machine.

Michelle

Archived