magna glide/magic bobbin washers?

Do you use magic bobbin washers? I know that many of you use magna glide bobbins and love them. But I have lots of thread, and would like to be able to wind my own bobbins, but still get that great bobbin tension. I searched for posts about the magic bobbin washers, and didn't find much discussion.

It is really easy to spend a lot of money on quilting gadgets that don't really work that well, and so was hoping for some input from this group on the magic bobbin washers.

I'm trying to decide whether to order a few of the magna glides or a package of the magic bobbin washers. Or both?

Bonnie,

I use both but not at the same time. I use the magna glides without any washers in the bobbin, they work by the magnet stopping the bobbin from backlashing. When I use pre wounds or self wound bobbins, I use the washers in my bobbin case.

Guest Linda S

I do like the bobbin washers IF I wind my own bobbins. To tell the truth though, I haven't wound a bobbin since trying the magna glides almost two years ago. They can be a little on the expensive side, but the time and frustration they save me is well worth the price in my book.

I have a bobbin case without the washer for the magna gide bobbins. I leave the spring washers in the other bobbin cases for So Fine and another for Bottom Line. I now wind most of my own.

Check every bobbin in the towa gauge and have no problems. Even when windng them on my Featherweights.

Lyn

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get some of the bobbin washers, as I do have a lot of bottom line that I'd like to use up.

I just didn't want to order one more thing that would sit in a drawer somewhere.

I might try the magna glides as well, but that can be for later.

I must be the only wacky one because I don't like the Magna Bobbins at all. The tension is too tight or something. I adjust it and it changes part of the way through.

I like running my Mille with either the regular aluminum bobbins or cardboard prewounds.

Based on everyone lovin' the Magna Glides I bought a half gross of white and I kept trying them thinking that I must be doing something wrong because so many people love them. But I simply can't get nice tension with them.

I won't be buying any more of them and, yes, they are on the pricey side. I wish I knew why my experience has been so different from others but as with everything else, one size does not fit all, eh?

For those who want to try the magna-glides, magna-quilt bobbins. You can go to the Fil-tech or Bobbin Central website and register, they will send you free samples. You do not need a business license/tax number to buy from them.

They will not bug you or send emails if you don't want to use their products.

I took a class from Carla Barrett at MQS and she mentioned that she makes her own bobbin washers from a kitchen teflon sheet. She traces a bobbin onto the sheet and cuts it out. An inexpensive way to get a lot of bobbin washers!

I tried the bobbin washers and they may have been a bit helpful however I'm using the Magna Glide and Delights now and am very pleased with the tension that I get from them.

Archived