what to do with batting

I am new, just set up my machine, I have loaded top, backing and batting. I just don't understand what to do with the batting, I've pinned all three to the take up bar, rolled up the top and backing. Does the batting just lay on the floor? Sorry if it is a dumb question.

Pam::)

Not Dumb Pam::)

If I were you I would only pin the backing to the take up bar, & then pin the batting & top to the back. That way you don't run the risk of quilting anything to the leaders.

There are lots of answers to your question, but I just let it hang to the floor, If I have to leave for any length of time I toss the long end over the roller bars so my kids & cats don't think there is a tent to play in.

Spend a min. checking out the search at the top of the page, just click on it, type in a word or 2 that best discribes what you are looking for, click search. you willl find all sorts of old threads that contain those words, click on the old thread, if it's not what you want click on "back" & try another one, every quilter has asked the same questions, & the answers are there just waiting for you , & that way you won't feel dumb asking.

Best of luck with your first qult, don't be to hard on yourself;) I got my Milli. in June. So I'm still a newbie myself.

Don't forget this is fun fun fun ;)

Pam,

I, too, just pin the backing to the top leader. Then I float my batting across the backing...set my channel lock horizontally and stitch across the top of the batting about 1 to 2 inches down from the top leader. Lastly, I line up the quilt top along the stitched line...pinning first, then basting it down across the top. I do check to see that the borders are parallel to the top leader before I baste them down.

The batting hangs down to the floor.

Don't be critical of your first quilt...I look at my first ones and I get a good chuckle.

Good Luck,

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I have learned that once I load my quilt, I take the end of the batting that is on the floor and just tuck it between the rollers, then take the fold and just tuck it between the rollers. That way I am not stepping on the batting all the time. The only problem with this method is this....you could roll your batting in between if you don't unfold it before you start to roll your quilt. Believe it or not, I've never done that yet, but I know me and I know it is coming. ;)

I stretch a piece of elastic banding or cording across the length of the table stretching it very tight and tieing each end on the legs. I then throw my batting over the elastic and it hangs out of my way. Since I sit to quilt it is important that I do not roll over the batting as it hampers my movements! Works for me and is a very in-expensive item.

Originally posted by pammy54

I am new, just set up my machine, I have loaded top, backing and batting. I just don't understand what to do with the batting, I've pinned all three to the take up bar, rolled up the top and backing. Does the batting just lay on the floor? Sorry if it is a dumb question.

Pam::)

Pam,

I like the idea of stitching straight across the top to secure the "floated" quilt to the backing. We just got our Millie, ( our first longarm) set up last week and I am wondering, When you use channel lock, is that supposed to make the machine immovable in the locked direction or does it just make it hard to move that direction?

Sherry, I like your idea for the cording. I am usually have to kick the batting out of the way every time I roll the quilt.

I load my quilt the same way that Cheryl does and leave the batting hanging down. The channel lock will allow the machine to either be locked in a vertical or horizontal stitching line. I use this to load the quilt and then to baste the sides of the quilt down.

Char

I am making a video for "how to's" which way to put the backing in a LA, types of batting used and how to attach it, which is the best way to attach borders to quilt tops, making bindings(straight of grain & bias),attaching bindings with a LA...etc.

Hopefully it will be done soon and up for sale. My dear son the photo buff is helping me and he is very presise on doing things right so it might take a couple of weeks yet.

I pin the batting to the backing and run a line of stitching across the top using the chanel lock -- and then use that to pin as my guide for the quilt top. Works for me.

I also "roll" the batting and rest that just in front of and between the top and bottom rollers. Haven't stitched over it yet and it makes a nice place to rest my arms as I quilt.

Best of luck!

Hi Pam,

I straight pin my batting to the top of the quilt top into the backing. I stitch across the edge of the top, removing the pins as I go. Same as on the sides of quilt when stitching each section. Also, side pin, as you go.

The excess batting hanging down at the end of quilt is cut off, leaving enough to cover the entire length plus 3 inches for quilting.

As you quilt, stitching down the sides, top, and bottom, your quilt will lay flatter for your customer to put on their binding, plus it will give you enough edge to trim excess batting and fabric away fromfinished quilt.:P

Keep smiling, Lyn:cool:

Archived