piecing and time

How long does it take most of you to cut and put together a block that would takes 32 (2") half sq, 4 (4") half sq, 1 (4") sq and 4 (4") quarter sq? I am just wonder if it is taking me to much time. I have been averaging about 2 hours to complete one. Is that being slow? Why I am wondering is charging for piecing.

That block has 41 pieces?! Actually, it has 89 pieces, when the half and quarter squares are broken down. Sheesh! I'd say 2 hours each is reasonable--especially with the number of half-squares and quarter squares you have. If you are charging for piecing, charge by the hour, not the block. Square foot or square inch charges go out the window with intricate or tiny piecing.

Maybe charge by the seam??:P Lets see--40 seams for the quarter and half-squares, all the seams to join them into rows, 4 seams for the one larger square--that's about 946 seams (;)) times a nickel a seam--that "seams" reasonable. So $47 a block equals $23.50 an hour. Yep, go with that equation. Dazzle them with your mad math skills!:cool:

Of course, I'm kidding--but please post a diagram so we can see how the blocks go together.

I understand what you are saying. I don't do a whole lot of quilts from start to finish for customers, but I never charge what I say my hourly rate is. I just can't seem to charge that much. I say I will charge $20 an hour, but I actually rarely make more than about $8 an hour. I read on the chat about people charging $25 and $30 an hour, but they are probably more experienced and live in an area that can justify that price.

If you are also quilting and binding this quilt, maybe you can give an estimate of all of your costs, then give a discount that would bring the cost down for the customer, but also give you what you are happy making on the project. It is hard to find that middle ground. Good luck, and please let us know what you decide, as we all learn from each other on here.

don't know if I will be quilting this quilt since the lady is just visiting here and brought it with her becasue she heard I might help her with it. She decided to jsut let me put it together instead of me helping her. But will see how I feel after i have all the squares done. Thanks for all the infomation and encouragement.

Charge a reasonalbe rate. You have to make something for all your effort. It is hard to educate folks on how much this kind of work is realy worth. If it isn't worth it to them to pay well, then they should do it for themselves. At least then they might be more willing to pay us what it is worth to do the work! At leat that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Archived