Breast Cancer Awareness quilt

bca-front.jpg

This quilt came from one of the local guilds. I decided to try

a technique I had just learned; full float. I have always done

a partial float of my quilts. Top of quilt top was floated and

zipper on the bottom of the quilt top which gets zipped onto

the 2nd roller.

But I was noticing that some of my quilts were getting these

'dog ears' (woof) on the bottom corners. Made me crazy.

Lois, one of the experienced longarmers showed me how

to do the full float so the bottom corners "quilt-in" at the

same rate as the rest of the quilt.

So the bottom of the quilt-top now hangs (is not basted,

zippered or pinned) between the 2 front rollers right on top

of the batting. It takes a bit of getting used to.

When I got close to the end of the quilt, I pin basted the

bottom border a bit. I usually quilt the side borders as I go,

anyway. So after finishing the body, I quilted the side

borders and SID between the border and the body. Then I

quilted the bottom border.

WooHoo, no dog ears. Thanks, Lois.

bca-close.jpg

I used Caring Hands from Threadsongs pantograph by Lisa Thiessen.

The thread is Superior So Fine! thread It's a Girl! (#418)

thread on top and prewound SuperBOBs Bottom Line Light

Pink (#605) in the bobbin.

The back is white muslin. I knew that any thread (other

than white on the top) would show on that white backing.

My machine loves So Fine and Bottom Line so no tension

issues. And the back looks so pretty. You can really see

the beauty of the panto.

Wow Linda, what a wonderful quilt. You did an outstanding job!! I love that panto for this quilt, it is perfect. Thank you for sharing.

By any chance do yo uknow the name of the quilt pattern they used for the top? I have two women at my chuch who are battling breast cancer and I would love to make a snuggle quilt out of this fabric and I like this pattern.

Thank you also for the tip on a full float. Wish I had done that on the quilt I jsut finished. it ended up with little doggy ears on the bottom. It is a granddaughter's quilt so no harm.

by the way, you might get pictures from Innovations this week if it slows down some for me.

Hi Ramona Quilter,

Beautiful work! I love what you did with that panto...you stitched it up beautifully! You can't imagine my suprise this morning to come look at the list and see this lovely quilt.

By the way, have you done your foot upgrade yet? I got your comment on my blog. If you have any questions about the upgrade feel free to email me - I would be happy to share my experience. ( I think the machine is running better now than since it was quite new, and I love having the template foot on all the time).

Cheers,

Lisa Thiessen

www.threadsinmotion.ca

Ramona, good job on the quilt. I just finished a quilt with this same panto - wasn't it fun? I'm doing another baby quilt with it from a grandmother. I think the hands and hearts show a grandmother's love don't you? I have never tried a full float, but think it sounds like a winner and maybe will try it on one of my own quilts first. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon.

Hi Ramona - great job on this great quilt. I love the panto you chose, perfect for this quilt. And also for mentioning this "full float" technique. I've not heard of it before, but I too was getting a bit of that distortion at the bottom. I think I'll try this on one of my donation quilts that I'm getting ready to do. Thanks for the info.

It was good to meet you at Innovations even though it was a short time in the lunch room before I had to dash to my 12:30 class.

Your quilting looks beautiful and to a wonderful cause. The question I have what on earth is SIDS? I am lost at some of the terms that are used but I can generally figure some of it out but unless it is "stitch in ditch" or something I am lost. No we are never lost we may be temporary bewildered but never lost. Not a woman! Thanks Robin:D

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the great explanation of a full float. I still am confused as to WHEN one is to baste the sides of the quilt down. Do you baste them both BEFORE you start any quilting in the center (just the distance between the rollers from front to back)? Or, do you pin the sides -- do the quilting -- baste the sides at 1/8 inch -- and then advance? I have heard it's a matter of personal preference, but I imagine it is very important with a full float to do it ahead of time. Just wondered how you do it. Also, do you have the clamps ON or OFF when you are basting the sides down?

Thanks, Joy

Hi Ramona,

Your quilt is so pretty! What is the difference between a full float and partial float? I'm just learning but always feel confused when it comes to this. I have my practice piece just draped over the back roller and pinned to the leader (as the leader is still rolled up on pole) I was traumatized by my first machine quilt having a baggy back and had to take out 10 large stars I quilted and make it as smooth as I could. I'm now practicing alot before I put my new finished quilt top on and it's going to be a gift.

Thank you ,

Sylvia

Syl and FrammaJoy,

I don't think that there is any right way to quilt. We all have

ideas and methods for quilting. I just decided to try these

new ideas I got from my class with Lois.

What I learned was that when I baste the sides or SID my

inside borders, I am restricting the quilt size in the body of

the quilt.

I was also doing a partial float which means I had

zippers on the bottom of the quilt top and just laid the

top of the quilt top on the batting which had already been

basted down. I then basted the top about an inch down

from where the batting was basted on top. That anchored

my quilt. I am still doing this on the top of my quilts

But the zippers on the bottom were sewn (zigzag) on the

quilt top which had not yet been quilted. You know how

a quilt gets smaller as you quilt... Well, my quilt top was

nailed to the zipper at the bottom while the rest of

the quilt top was quilting in (getting smaller). That's where

the dog ears came from, my bottom corners really stuck out.:(

The other thing I was doing wrong was the SID on the inner

borders before doing the body. Now I quilt the body, then

SID the inner borders, then quilt the borders as I go. Lois

taught us a new sequence. A better sequence for me.

Remember you have to do what works for you, though. And

it doesn't hurt to be open to new ideas. :cool:

When I first got my machine a friend loaned me some videos on useing a longarm. They were useing a Nolting for the video and they were generic for basicly any longarm (I have a Gammill). In any case one of the things that the lady demoed was that you measure your top across the horzontal. Then you take half that measurement. Now fold you quilt in half and place a pin. When you put your top on the roller you start at the center and place one pin in the middle. Now measure out from each side and put a pin in your leader to the half mearure. You then pin your top edges to that exact line. Now you fill in the rest of your pins on the top. Then when you pull to top to attach to the backing and batting at the top of the quilt you again put your center in center and measure out from both sides and pin the edges to this measurement.

This might be old infomation to you but I have found that if I pin my tops in this manner instead of how the guy that delivered my machine showed me that when I get to the end of the quilt it lines up just right with the sides......................no dog ears. This has become habit for me and I just do it on all my quilts.

This is what I find works with my frame and my setup.

I do a full float on the small art quilts I do as they are too small to put on bottom roller. Those I pin to the batting and back and that works well.

I quilted two baby quilts using full float system yesterday and today.

I had problems with the bottom not staying pulled down (since it was floating), and I was getting pleats under my stitching.

What do you do to hold the bottom -- or the part under where you are working -- to stay taught? Do you baste across the whole thing as you go? Do you pin to the backing and batting? Still confused on this part. Both sides were basted or pinned.

Thanks,

Joy

Linda,

Thanks. I figured out to pin the bottom edge before I did the bottom border. I'll post some pictures for you in a day or two of my first full float project. Thank you so much for your great description. I actually removed the top roller from my Millennium table yesterday. Only problem I had with that was I kept thinking I had a lot more room to sew at the bottom of the quilting space than was there. Lots of frogging there! I finally got the idea to put a piece of masking tape at the point I could not sew past. Worked out great after that.

Hugs, Joy

Archived