Sulky Cotton thread

Guest Linda S

I just came down from organizing (or starting to organize) my studio. I have a bizillion cones of thread (it's awful, I'm an addict). In that whole whopping pile of thread, there is one cone of Sulky cotton. I tried it, didn't like it. Way too fuzzy.

I bought some SULKY PolyLite 60wt. at MQS. I haven't tried it yet, but they were advertising it as for longarm and I think my friend uses SULKY a lot. The spool I bought looks similar to rainbows, but thinner.

As far as the 30 wt. cotton SULKY, I'd try a 40wt or 60wt thread of some kind in the bobbin. When you thread the 30wt through the top, only go through one hole directly above the tensioner. Set the tension so the thread pulls evenly through the needle. If it is a solid color thread, it will probably work. If it is variegated, nubby or old thread, it may not. There is nothing you can do about the fuzz -- fuzzy thread results in fuzz.

I hope something works out for you!

I have to agree...I've used quite a bit of the 30 wt. cotton Sulky in my DSMs...it's especially nice for satin stitching as it fills in so well. It is, however, very linty. I have not tried it on my George but if I were going to, I would

A. Put in the biggest needle I could find

B. Soak the spool or cone thoroughly with mineral oil ( a la Schamber) or coat it liberally with Sewer's Aide

C. Skip a thread guide or two

and D. Slow down a lot.

Please let us know if you are able to make it run. Nancy in Tucson

I love the sulky Blendables, as they are so much smoother than King Tutt. Being cotton they are fuzzier. They run beautifully on my machine but as with most of the cottons a bit of silicone does wonders. I run them with my top tension pretty loose.

I use Sulky Blendables (30 wt cotton) in my Millie. At first I was having tension issues, but I use a bit of silicon (I put it on a piece of batting that is in my first guide) and I keep the top loose. I also have the bobbin quite loose (falls easily to the floor with a bit of resistance). I'm not having problems anymore. It is linty, but so are many cotton threads - I just 'swipe and blow' between bobbins. Their colours are beautiful and I love the sheen.

Archived