Healthy lifestyle 7/18-7/24

Last week and any mistakes are gone. Now we get to start over, clean slate and a week of making healthy choices before us. I found Crystal Light at WalMart in some new flavors for summer. Appletini (really strong green apple taste) , Margarita (tastes like margarita mix), Mojito ( I like it the best of the three. It has a lime, mint taste.) I would mix these with a little less than the recommended 2 quarts of water because when you add ice it dilutes them and they can taste watery. You can always add water if it is too strong a taste for you. Nice to have a calorie free something a little special to cool off with.

Here in northwest Iowa...supposed to get to 100...we have had a lot of rain before this heat came...lots of humidty...

Dont think I have ever had crystal lite...appletini sounds very good. For summmer I have started to use hummus...put it on a low point soft shell and add all kinds of vegtables plus a pickle...its a lite meal...Suppers in the evenings are always hard to come up with...what do others have in the evenings??????????????

Originally posted by meg

a nice, easy and safe thirst quencher, for sure....

and, for those of us who are not very good at sticking totally to our diets, a calorie free mixer for the evening cocktails!!

;););););););)

That is what I was thinking! I'm back on steroids and hoping that my eating stays under control. The last two days of the last round were really difficult!

Last week was really bad for me, I ate everything I saw. Lucky for me I managed to swim 4 days last week for an hour each time. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't loose either. Hopefully I can control the eating a bit better this week. I want to loose 10 pounds before Oct. 20th. That should be doable if I control myself.:)

As much as I sweat yesterday helping setting up our quilt show, I should be 10# lighter ! :P:P Got plenty of exercise too, walking back and forth up and down the ladder, bending over, etc. I did drink a lot of water though. I have WW this morning, so hope to see some pounds gone. I will grocery shop today and get lots of fresh peaches, melons, etc. to eat. Watermelon is my favorite when it is so hot.

My quilts at the county fair Open Class will be jugded this morning at 11 AM. Really hate to go out there and sit in this heat, but I have to see how I do !!!! :D I'll pick a seat in the back row near the big fans. :) I checked my quilts in last evening and the poor ladies doing the checking in were sooooo HOT...........faces red, they were sweating buckets, hair flat to their head. It will be a miserable week at the fair.........no break in the heat until late in the weekend. The fair ends Saturday.

Well, all my sweating yesterday did something anyway. I lost a # this week. I surely sweat off some more today sitting at the quilt judging.............4 hours in 100+ degrees........I must be crazy. I really didn't feel well when I got home. I sat for over an hour with a cold cloth on my neck getting cooled down. Also the extremes of the 100º and then into the AC didn't help.

Congrats Fabric on your quilting wins ! I won, too! Best of Show, 2 blues and a red ! The one that got red was in direct competition with the Best of Show quilt. I beat myself. :P

Well, considering the past week, I guess gaining .4 lb wasn't too bad. We had a wedding and reception with dinner and wedding pie, went to a Sunday Brunch buffet, I'm back on steroids, and it is WAY to hot and humid to exercise at all. Temps and humidity 90s and above. Windows and even my glasses fog up when I go outside! Still, I was hoping to at least stay even. Hopefully this week will be better! Next week we'll be traveling to an out of town wedding for several days, and that is always hard to eat healthy and within points and get exercise! My progress has been very slow the last few weeks, even tho I never use all my points or use the "extra" 49 available. :o

I am trying to maintain..I am trying to track all the time..sometimes by evening it sort of gets left behind in all the things to do...Celebrated my big 60 yesterday...took my children and grand kids out for supper and then to the dairy queen...opted for the med size cone instead of small....or none at all....

alnaquilts..what is wedding pie????

I freeze brewed tea in ice cube trays...use it to cool my tea so it isn't diluted. You could freeze some Crystal Light and use it the same way. Hang in there...it is summer after all.

A friend of mine always had an answer based on Native American culture. In the winter she would say, "Make the cold your friend". I don't have a problem with that. I think it's more difficult in the summer---HEAT is not my friend. :D

Originally posted by Boni

I freeze brewed tea in ice cube trays...use it to cool my tea so it isn't diluted. You could freeze some Crystal Light and use it the same way. Hang in there...it is summer after all.

Great idea ! I'm going to make some iced tea right now. How about putting one of the Crystal Light Lemonade cubes in your tea ????

OOO. oooo....oooo...........sounding so refreshing. I'm feeling cooler already. haha Going to be another scorcher here today..............heat index as high as 117º.

I went outside for about 20 minutes to water some plants and sweat like a pig just doing that. I'm inside to stay the rest of the day now.

Originally posted by fabric007

speaking of fairs...at the obrien co. fair I had quilted some things for a customer and she won the grand prize and the reserve grand prize...I will have to go over and take some pictures....

Wow, Congratulations! I want to see the pics!

That is the best kind of advertising you can get.

While you're one the subject of health and weight loss, let me tell you what's going on with me. By Christmas I was up to 202. Stress was killing me. I joined Weight Watchers in January and started eating right. Then I stopped cleaning house except the dishes, sweeping, laundry, etc. I stopped working late every day. I started walking. By the time I went to the doctor in June I was down to 182. She still proclaimed me to be morbidly obese (lovely term, isn't it). She put me on Phenteremine. It is supposed to help speed up my metabolism, but not cause any other side effects. I still have to eat 1200 calories a day and exercise every day, which I have been. I have been taking it since June 16th. As of today I am down to 169. Still have 44 pounds to go. Right now it's easy to exercise every day, because I'm off work. I'm also pretty well stress free right now. I don't know what is going to happen when I go back to work on August 1st. I'll just have to wait and see.

For anybody who does not like to exercise I recommend getting a Nintendo Wii. We got ours a year and a half ago, for Josh. Since he's moved out I've been using it quite a bit. I got two Dancing games, the fitness coach program, and (my favorite) Walk it Out.

Teresa, you deserve Bravos and Kudos and Congratulations! Way to go! I've always been a fanatic for eating right and exercising as the best way to lose weight and stay fit. It is not easy and I speak from personal experience. Right now, I'm struggling to lose 10 pounds. That doesn't seem like a lot to most people, and some have even said, "Why bother?" The problem is that I eat when I'm stressed and under pressure. That's not healthy. I'm working on substitutions like taking a walk, changing scenery, putting on music, multi task, punching pillows, anything to take my mind off eating and lowering the stress level. Even five pounds at my height and current weight makes a big difference in how I feel and how my clothes fit. It's a battle I choose to fight and I refuse to supplement with metabolic enhancers. It's not for me. I'm glad that it is working for you...I will tell my cousin about it. She is "morbidly obese" also and her doctor is still nagging. I just love good food and most times simply eat too much. One pound gained isn't a problem; it's one pound a month that sneaks up on you.

To anyone out there in this situation, be healthy whatever you do. Find something that works for you and do it. You'll be glad you did!:D

congrats on the weight loss....you will find ways to keep at it when you go back to work...dont give up or worry about it...even if you maintain for a period of time till you get a new routine...

Went to the fair to check out my clients quilts I had done...only one was hung up, but they are covered in plastic so you cant get a very good pic.

the wii thing sounds like fun...when you do it alone you can be as dorky as you want an nobody will see you....like at the gym or a exercise class

Theresa good for you! I am a stress eater and it has taken its toll. This week has not been a good one for me. The steroids are making me so hungry. I have worked my butt off in the gardens though and did laps in the pool. We had a picnic at work today and I did not behave at all but I didn't have anything for dinner so maybe it will level off. I just hope to get through the week without gaining any of the 7 1/2 lbs I've lost in the last 3 weeks. Thanks all for sharing. It makes it easier to know I'm not alone in the struggle!

Thanks gals. I am a stress eater too. That's what led to the 202 pounds. At 5 ft. 3 inches tall I looked like a beach ball. Now I'm trying to exercise, draw, write, quilt, or clean when I'm feeling stressed.

Heidi, Congrats on the 7 pounds. I know steroids can make it rough. They make you retain water so badly. I hope you don't have to stay on them for very long.

This is a tough week for me, the 2nd round of steroids is making me HUNGRY and I can't seem stay away from the food! Also am retaining fluid, and just plain feel discouraged. Aaargh! Well, at least the itching is gone and the rash is healing--am thankful for that!! It can only get better from now on, right??

Archived