What material for blocking quilts???

Can anyone weigh in on this? We have no carpeting in our house. I used to block quilts on a huge piece of carpeting (hard to store & set up) or on those cardboard cutting mats from JoAnns that are designed for garment sewers.

Now I'm creating a large, covered table like the ones in drapery studios where I can lay out a quilt, steam it and pin it into the tabletop to dry. I tried OSB board covered with one layer of batting and one layer of canvas. This is what Sharon Schamber recommends as an ironing surface (works great) and its supposed to be pinnable BUT...

While I can pin into the surface of the ironing board I made, I cannot pin into the new OSB boards I bought for my 'blocking table'. Can't even staple gun or nail the batting onto it.

What building material can I find at Home Depot that will be pinnable and yet withstand heat & steam? Will the pressed cardboard-type insulation board I've used on my design wall handle the steam? I know it is pinnable. Will those lightweight foam-type insulation boards withstand the heat? I know they are pinnable too and that some folks use them for blocking.

I would appreciate any input you might have...and soon! I've got the whole studio torn up right now to build the tabletop. Thanks so much, Nancy in Tucson

I appreciate the warning about those building materials!

So, Heidi, my process is to starch the quilt, then place a wet towel on the quilt surface and iron the towel (forcing steam through the quilt). Will the foam hold up to that? I would love to use it in place of the HEAVY OSB boards. Thanks! Nancy

Nancy, I do like Heidi. I just wet the quilt (damp) and then lay a towel or old sheet on top of the insulation board and then stretch the quilt out on the sheet to the size I want it to be. I use a Tsquare or plumb line to make sure my corners are 90 degrees. Then I let it air dry. A fan works great to speed up the drying time. I've not used steam through a damp towel but it might do the same thing.

I think you would be OK to use steam with the insulation board.

Nancy I'm with Shana on how I block my quilts. I usually just let it set over night and it dries really quickly. I wouldn't guess that the steam would cause any issues with the foam. It does go under siding on a house so I'm sure it takes a lot of heat. Just make sure you have it covered so that the color doesn't bleed into your quilt.

Thanks, Shana & Heidi. I'm in Arizona...drying the quilt is not a problem ;-) I reckon it's hotter & dryer here than it is in NY or AK.

I started using starch instead of just a damp quilt because it helps lock the fibers into place...I spray liberally, pin the quilt square and steam it through the wet towel. Then let it dry completely and I think it retains the squareness better & longer because of the starch. Maybe I'll go buy some of the foam and try it out with an unimportant iron (just in case I experience a melt down). Will be sure to cover it with a sheet...thanks for that tip too. Nancy in Tucson

Guest Linda S

I use the foam insulation boards too and use a Stanley Laser Level Square - those red lasers shining out at a perfect 90* are the bomb. If you have pets around, do be careful. Karen McTavish told us that she'd just spent a whole bunch of time blocking a show quilt when her cat entered the room and threw up on it!

I use insulation board and I have used an iron on it before, but I did not hold it in place very long. If I were planning to use high heat for very long I would buy a piece of ironing board fabric, (teflon?) and place that on the insulation board first, then my sheet and finally the quilt.

Thanks, Cindy. That same fix occurred to me last night. I think you mean that stuff they sell at JoAnns to make hotpads. I think I could staple it on the board, then the batting, then the canvas. I really appreciate the input from everyone. Many thanks.

Archived