info re: Wacom Bamboo

I am pretty much up to date techie wise, but would like some info on how quilters use this Wacom Bamboo unit. Christmas is coming and I'm looking for "hint hint" items to give Santa. Which unit do you have and how do you use it for your quilting? Would you consider it a good/excellent tool for business (would I be able to show customers my ideas using the Bamboo right there as I'm talking with them? Do you like your present unit or would you upgrade to a higher platform Bamboo? I tend to get the 'best of the best' instead of starting with the low end and working my way up. make sense? I have a PC but saw the Bamboo in the box at the Apple store. and of course they didn't have one open for demo purposes. not sure any of them know how to use the thing. Any help is appreciated.

I have only had mine for 6 weeks. I copy pictures and open them in paint and draw on them. I am sure there are other uses and more efficent ones also.

Carla Barrett offers classes in quilt whispering, photo shop elements. I think she uses the tablets in her class.

featheredfibers.wordpress.com

HTH

Hi you might want to join Carla Barretts forum to learn more about tablets.

http://quiltwhisper.com/forum/index.php

I have a small Bamboo by Wacom.

She teaches how to draw over photos of quilts using the Wacom tablets. You have to take a photo of the quilt, preferably you should have good lighting and a good digital camera. Then you have to download it to your PC or Mac to use it with your tablet software. Personally, and this is not to detract from Carla's class where I learned a lot, an alternative method is to simply print a good image of the photo and overlaying it with a thin piece of semi stiff acrylic and draw using a dry erase board marker.

There is a learning curve to using tablets.

However, if you like to doodle---and have an iPad, there is a nice App you can download for drawing and even use for drawing over a photo just like the Wacom tablets. It's called "Adobe Ideas". These are some "doodles" I have saved using Adobe Ideas app. You can also similar doodles with the Wacom tablet and Paint. If I click on any one of them, they fill the iPad screen. This is just a screen shot of thumbnails of some quilt designs I have doodled.

post--13461906669211_thumb.jpg

I just purchased the Bamboo Fun which has a drawing area of 8.5" x 5.5". This is larger than quite a few of the tablets on the market and I felt it was a better fit for me. I am just learning how to use it and I have found that there definitely is a learning curve. I am digitizing designs and hoping using the tablet and pen will be easier on my arm and shoulder for me than using the mouse. I have also used it with EQ7. There are lots of things you can do with these tablets, you just have to learn how to use it first!

I have a friend who has been using the tablet forever. She has had carpal tunnel problems and she never uses a mouse - just the tablet. Her new tablet (also a Wacom but top of the line model) has keys to use for ctrl, alt, and a few others. The only time she ever uses her keyboard is when she needs to type something. She swears by the Wacom tablets.

The bamboo tablet comes with the software you need to make it work. However, the hard part for me is that the picture you're drawing on is on the computer screen and the tablet is just like a big mouse pad.

Dell Inspiron is what I've been looking at. Its a netbook and a tablet in one. Its more like what Angie was doing where you can have the actual picture on the screen and draw directly on it. That makes more sense to my little pea brain!!

Archived