Scrap addiction

I love scrap quilts and last week my guild had Pat Speth, author of the Nickel Quilt books, teaching two classes and doing the program at the meeting. She is a great teacher, very energetic and sharing. She did a fabulous trunk show at the meeting. We left the classes and meeting with a lot of ideas that she freely shared. I love her books and the quilts in them.

Don't cut all of your scraps into strips! If you aren't familiar with Nickel Quilts, they start with 5" pieces, cut and sometimes sub cut. The results are fabulous quilts, and so easy! For the quilt that I'm working on, here's a picture of the blocks, all starting with 5" pieces. Four blocks go together to make a larger block, with sashing between the larger blocks. Finished size of the large blocks is 14".

post--13461906766175_thumb.jpg

Ohhhhh! Can I play too? I love scraps. I have even been guilty of buying bags of scrap from my local quilt store.

I am working on a 49 piece pineapple block that will be a 6 inch square when finished. I will have to upload a picture when I get back on my home computer. It is paper pieced and will probably take me the rest of my life to finish.

Here is another one that I did a while ago. It lives in Florida now with a friend of mine.

post--13461906767501_thumb.jpg

This is a true story... My neighbor recently paid for her daughter to go through 8 weeks of alcohol rehabilitation. The cost was $30,000 with no guarantees.

I said to my husband "I may be a quilting addict, but it's cheaper to keep me in my addiction than to send me to REHAB!!!!!!"

I am in the process of packing up my 2 craft/sewing rooms and all total I am currently at 14 Rubbermaid containers. This includes cross stitch, petite point,

knitting, some sewing and quilting, quilting and more quilting. My scrap collection is only 1/2 a bucket.

The nice thing about having to clean out my rooms and pack them up is......it's just like Christmas going through all those beautiful fabrics and kits. Not to

mention all the things I have found underneath the piles and piles of stuff! I can't wait to finish up some of those UFO's now that they are all organized.

Do you know what is really strange???? I found a zillion hair elastics. For some reason, the first thing I do is take off my hair band without even realizing it.

No wonder I had to keep going out and buying more! I have also learned that I am a piler. Just like mother earth, one layer on top of the other.

What a chore, but the reward is all the renewed excitement. I can't wait to get re-setup!!

Donna

have read some OOPS! here about storing things in anything that looks like a garbage bag, sack or can.

Also, similar stories on the lost quilt websites, about quilts that were lost in moving, probably because they were placed in something that got tossed! yeek!

After reading this, I've determined to not store anything in any more black plastic bags, garbage bags or cans.

I've started placing quilts and fabric in old pillowcases instead.

at least that way, they LOOK like something instead of something that could easily be mistaken for garbage.

s

I, too, am a scrap addict. I use Bonnie Hunter's scrap system and have made a couple of her scrap quilts. The scraps also come in handy for quick doll quilts. I recently started to save selvages. I always check out the scrap bins and bags and remnants at quilt shops. Our Salvation Army has a yearly fabric and craft sale. My first stop is the 25 cents/pound scrap table.

So... I promised to post pictures of my miniature pineapple blocks. Each block has 49 pieces. It is paper pieced and except for the red center, is all scraps. This is what I do with my crumb pieces.

I got the idea from my idol Bonnie Hunter. I am more analytical than artistic. I cannot come up with the original idea but am good with the execution.

Bonnie was making a similar block and posted it on her web site. When people asked her about the pattern, she wasn't talking. Turns out, she is planning on adding this block to one of her books so I can understand her reluctance to share.

I went into EQ7 and found a small pineapple block. I shrunk it down to 6 1/2 inches and came up with a very similiar block. Bonnie's has 45 pieces, mine has 49. Yes, why thank you, I am insane. :-)

I just love blocks with a lot of pieces. If a block is put together with large pieces, it bores me to tears. It is just me. I made a turning 20 and was bored out of my mind. My mom told me that even as a little kid, I always gravitated to "little things". I guess not much has changed as I have grown up. This one could very well take me the rest of my life to complete.

Notice how one side is all dark which creates a secondary pattern. This was another Bonnie idea. Each block takes me a long time to make, but I honestly don't care as I just love making these. :P

post--13461906774778_thumb.jpg

Archived