Hook assembly replacement attempt!!

WISH ME LUCK!! I'm goin in....... gonna replace the hook assembly that I broke on my Millie!!!!!:(

CONSIDERING this is the only MAJOR thing I have had to deal with since I got it in 04......I should be grateful!!?

Maybe I should have cup O coffee #2 first???;)

Happy Sunday!!

Susan: I hope you have better luck than I had when I changed mine. Whoever installed it failed to deburr the threads for the clamping screws before it was installed. One of the burrs buried itself in the hook shaft and I had a devil of a time getting it to slide off the shaft. I finally had to tap it off with a brass drift. Good luck, I hope you don't have the same problem. Regards. Jim

Susan: P.S. If you should be as unlucky as me, be sure to polish off the metal raised on the hook shaft off before you install the replacement. In fact check the replacement before you install it. See if there are any burrs from the clamping screw threads, and remove them before you put it on. Regards. Jim

I just sent my machine in and had that done...decided I did not want to attempt it..first clue was I could not even budge the screw..second thought, did not want to do more damage...it took over a month to get the machine up and running again--but it needed a good service anyways. good luck.

Yes, the screws are man-tight and need to be. Once they are removed you can feel the divots they have made in the shaft. The manual shows how to sand those off and if there are no problems with the replacement assembly, you are half-done! Good luck!

You will feel powerful when you finish this task and be telling others it was an easy job!

DONE!!!!!

........ I think...(?).... I did get it off by myself and did notice a fine line between getting the shaft deburred so the assembly "moves freely" but not too freely.Also getting the new one ON was a challenge untill I sort of twisted/screwed it on. That wasnt mentioned in the instructions but needs to be considered. a MAGNIFYING VISOR /HEADPIECE REALLY HELPS TOO along with a decent light source,a small metal file and 3 different long handled screwdrivers.

Remove pets,spouses and small children that may interfere with ease of movement and patience levels(!!!!!)

:PAll that is left now is to get the screws "man tight" and oil new assembly. I have tested stitching in manual VERY SLOWLY on a piece of batting but still afraid of that "metal on metal" CRUNCH!!!

Rewarded myself with 2 BLT sandwiches and a summer shandy.I'm TOAST!!

Archived