I'm trying to do pebbles on a small wallhanging but I must be doing something wrong. The edges look like fishnets! The fabric is normal weight cotton, batting is very thin cotton (customer's), am using basic cotton thread on the top (no idea of the brand) and monofilament in the bobbin. Some of the curves are ok but most of them tend to look like I'm trying to do embroidered fishnets. I originally tried regular cotton in the bobbin but it was dark purple & it showed too much through the stitched holes on the white front fabric. I've adjusted the top tension both ways and at least now with mono, I can barely see bobbin thread on the straight stitches (I tested a bit with water to see that the holes close). Pebbles need to be very small (1/4" diameter). I've got the stitch regulator on, and I think the stitch length is set very small. It would be faster to do it on my dsm but I want to master this! Grrrr

Thanks for the advice, Lyn. This is the first time I'm trying to do small filler like this since I normally use the SR, I didn't think about turning that off. I'll be trying that tonight. My Millie is from 2006 so I don't have QG, though it sure looks like something I'd like to upgrade to. :-)

A 2006 can be upgraded.

Make sure your SR is set at at least 14 or you might need higher depending on how tiny your prpples are. What happens is the stitch length is too long to make those tiny designs, It is easier with the SR off. It does take a bit of practice to find the speed that works for you with the design so you might want to try it out on a practice piece or off the edge of your quilt.

2008 and up only can be upgraded to have Quilt glide.

Elita... you have your stitches set to longer stitches or less stitches per inch. You should set it up to around at least 12 but 13-15 is even better for micro work. Is that dark thread your bobbin??? if so, you have your upper tension too tight and your bobbin way to loose. You need to tighten the bobbin.

Your upper tension is pulling the bobbin thread to the top. Tighten your bobbin and loosen your needle tension.

But first adjust your stitch length to 12-15 SPI, try that and then make the adjustment to tension if necessary.

Archived