first time vendor questions

I'd love any suggestions to helpmake this successful. This is my first time doing this so anything is appreciated. I'm trying to get my thread sales started, get known a bit for APQS Sales, increase my quilting, and get started as an instructor.

I have a booth at my guilds quilt show in Sept. I'll have Fil-Tec--mostly Glide thread, maga bobbins, Folders with APQS info and DVD's, and some of Pam Clarke's basic books and stencils and of course lots of business cards. We have about 100 members at least 20 are mid or long arm quilters and there are normally between 300 and 400 visitors to the show.

I only have one sample quilted with the Glide. Would love more but time is an issue. I did just black fabric about a full size with different pantos using a different color for each one and a section of freehand feathers with the metallic and one with Premo Soft (poly that looks like cotton) I plan to use this as part of my table cover. I will also have a couple of quilts in the show.

What fun Jeri!!

I ditto Connie...... Or maybe some of your friends will let you display their quilts. You could put Glide on your machine and demo with it. We sold Omni for the first time in our booth and demo serveral designs to show how nice it quilted up.

Layer your table with boxes at different height or small foot stools, anything that will give a layered look, drape with solid color fabric (black muslin which you could get at Joann's cheap with a coupon) this will show off your thread etc...

Jeri,

Wish I could share my Glide thread quilts with you but they were customers quilts. My daughter's Graduation quilt will be hanging in the show and it has Glide thread.

Ladies, the Guild show is the Blue Springs Twilight Stitchers Guild show on Sept. 16 & 17. 9am-5pm on Friday. 9am-4pm. on Saturday. It is being held at the Timothy Lutheran Church on R.D. Mize Rd. in Blue Springs, MO. Hope to see you there.

Thanks everyone. I wish I could use some customer's quilts. The ones I've used it in are not in the state, so difficult to get ahold of. my last one is on it's way to CA.

I have lots of black fabric-- 108 wide seconds from Fabriquilt. $3.00 per yard that I'm planning on using. Using some boxes is a great idea.

Susie thanks for posting the show info.

Yes Vivian, however I don't have all the colors yet or a huge supply--just getting started with this and with not a very large budget. I'm planning on it growing, that's for sure.

I won't have my Millie there. Maybe take my Janome ?

My DD used to live in Cameron or rather just south of it. She's now between Lawson and Holt. I live just north of Truman Library. I do work Mon -Fri 7-4 downtown KC. Sending you a U2 with my address.

I'll get to that quilt shop one day when I'm up that way.

Michelle I just saw your post. Congrats!! I'm sure it will be fun as I've done other types of bigger shows ie Home Show and Camber of Commerce ones in my old life but nothing dealing with quilting and not one actually selling product.,

I'm really worried about how much thread to take. I'm on a tight budget so I can't go overboard. I'm doing Large and small cones of Glide and some of the magna bobbins, delight tubes and I'll sell some pkgs of the classics. L and M sizes.

Also some of the Premo Soft and Cario. I'll have the thread charts there for orders.

Of course a big stack of APQS info and also a small supply of the basic Pam Clarke's stencils and books. Since I have been certified to teach her classes I can also sell her products.

I'm also going to put all my unused King Tutt on sale at a discount just to make room on thread shelves and I also have quite a supply of Presencia (which I love) that I bought to sell in small spools that will also be discounted.

Perhaps a half sheet flyer listing all of your business services and products, copied on colored paper with your business card attached?

Probably the most lasting impression you'll make on potential customers is your knowledge of the services and products you offer and your professional attention to each person.

Sounds like you have a great business plan -- best wishes, Jeri!!:)

Jeri, Here is one way to think about the thread...... take what you have if it all sells the first day (sold out) people will think it is the BEST there is and make orders. You don't have to tell people you only had a small supply of thread.

You'll have the thread charts and open spools so people can see it, relax and make it work for you. LOL.

Michele

Michelle, Love your thoughts about thread selling out!!!! I figure I'll have some of the partially used ones I have so people can unwind and play. I'm definately figuring on being able to take orders --especially on colors I won't have. TOOO many for my budget yet.

Had an idea today, was putting together an order for Pam Clarke's books and stencils on my lunch break. Take my lap top, anchor it somehow up at eye level and keep APQS and some of Pam's videos playing.

Archived