Remember all Those SID Questions?

It is tough to hold the line for sure! I'm working on another quilt for this customer and this one has diagonal lines!!!! I've learned my hopping foot is not symmetrical, each side seems to be just a fraction off so I'm continually having to adjust where I'm holding the tool for a guide, it is driving me crazy!

Originally posted by Shar Schmutz

It is tough to hold the line for sure! I'm working on another quilt for this customer and this one has diagonal lines!!!! I've learned my hopping foot is not symmetrical, each side seems to be just a fraction off so I'm continually having to adjust where I'm holding the tool for a guide, it is driving me crazy!

The back is beautiful, Shar. Will we eventually be able to see the front?

I have the same problem with my hopping foot. I'm doing a lot of ruler work on my current project, and yes, it does start driving me crazy, too (DH says I didn't have far to go!).

Louise,

This quilt is slated for a book, I hope it makes the cut, the one I have on the machine now is as well. I hope I will be able to post them much later, or tell you what book they are in.

I don't know what is up with the hopping foot, I guess I may need to get out some calipers and check it out, if for no other reason to find out if I am crazy or not. It's just enough off to not be able to use the 1/4 inch tic mark on the ruler depending on the direction I am quilitng. I know for sure the back of the hopping foot has a build up of metal where I believe the round part is welded to the shaft. I was told I could carefully file it, but so far haven't gotten the nerve to do so. The result of that is I can go front to back with a favrotite tool but not side to side, It was also suggested I bevel the tool to accomodate it but then I wondered if it will put off the function of the tool in the axis it works now. Has anyone done this to their hopping foot?

Hi Shar--congrats on the book quilt. Your SID looks great!

I have never had to do this, but you can center the hopping foot. Do an archive search or call/email Barb M and she will get you going in the right direction. I have read that pushing too hard with a ruler against the foot will eventually skew it out of center, but your machine is too new for that to be the case.

My foot also has the back bump and with some templates it is not a problem while others are not usable behind the foot.

I need to center mine and will follow Barb's awesome directions. I know it's off a little bit. Have my annual clean adjust and tighten day coming up soon so will do it all at once. I plan to do it once I have all my quilting basement painting done so I can replace the leaders etc at the same time.

Archived