Her Mother's Blocks

Okay - here's the story. She called. She's a wonderful person and customer. She recently was able to begin working on her mom's UFO's. Her mom made the blocks when she was 73. Guess What - My customer is now 73 and put the blocks into a quilt. Now it gets even better - she has asked if I can custom quilt it for a big show and it's needed early next week, yep, with my schedule I can't give it much time. Here's the pic. Thinking design with lines but will that go with these type fabrics? I'm not sure. Any and all ideas/comments welcome. She's going to be here at 9:30 tomorrow morning. If it wasn't the 73 and 73 thing I would have said I couldn't do it. Me and my stupid heart need a kick in the butt. :D

post--13461906933501_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this will be much help, but I found a similar quilt on the following link, quilted by an Amish woman. With the churndash/monkeywrench being an historical pattern, you might want to keep the quilting simple on the block, such as echoing, and then do a cable on the border:

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/wh86.shtml

Did your customer give you any clues as to what type of quilting she is looking for? I think Designs with Lines could work; so could feathers...

simple quilting sounds best. i'm trying to stay away from SID but I think that is going to be a given. Piano key the border, cross hatch the sashing, 1/4 inch outline on the blocks, ditch everything. BUT I would think that's too linear and I need some curves somewhere. Maybe I'll rope the border or the sashing. Karen McTavish does that freehand with an s curve. If I mark the quilt I think that's an option. Grrrrrr, will be up half the night getting ideas on the table since I want to manage this so the quilting is straight forward with minimal marking or stress. Thanks for taking the time to throw some ideas my way. Appreciate it.

Kathy,

Bless your heart! That is so nice of you to do. I love the quick turnaround time. I think doing lines in the the rectangles and hst would be a good idea. push back the background with some kind stipplish design. I would do cross hatching on the center square and in the outside border. Not sure that you can do all that ruler work on your short schedule.

Archived