Studio Flooring

If you want something that's good for your feet, check out the GelPros. We used them in a kitchen I worked in and they were WONDERFUL for standing on all day. They're expensive as all get out, but as soon as I get to Texas, I'm going to get one. You can get them in some very long lengths 12' - I'd put that over top of hardwood that'd be resistant to pin scratches. (Right now I'm on carpet over concrete in a highrise. I don't think they ever bothered to even put a carpet pad in. I can only stand for 3-4 hours on it, and then I HAVE to sit down for an hour.)

I have bamboo and love love it! We went to Lowes and they were trying to get rid of it. Said if I would take it all I could have it for 88 cents a square foot!! Yep we took all of it. Easy on the feet and back and easy to clean and it is light in color and I can find almost anything I lose on the floor! LOL

I have cork in my studio over the concrete. It is so nice to stand on all day long. Easy to clean and it insulates from the cold coming up through the concrete.

The only thing I would do different, if I were to do it again, would be to make sure I have those floor protectors where I roll my saddle stool back and forth. It has cracked the finish, so I need to refinish it with poly.

Dory, can I ask what size yurt you have for your studio? I have a small house and would love to have my studio accessable to my customers without them having to walk thru my house.

I thought about building another garage type dwelling, a three season room off the back of my house. Recently I googled yurt and thought that has possibilities. My main concern is heating and AC, I really don't think a wood burning stove would be the best choice. But maybe I could charge extra for the woodsy smell......LOL

Archived