how to get best pic for show entry

I would like suggestions for getting good pictures of a quilt for quilt show entry. Entry calls for 2 pictures. Do I need to include one of the back? Or one overall shot and then a close-up? I really don't have a place to actually 'hang' the quilt. Should I take it outside and have family hold it up (they will stand behind the quilt - 'quilt with feet'... probably not a good idea). Anyway, educate me. Thanks!

I can't help you in the short term, but in the long run you may want to invest about $70 in a photographers backdrop stand. Many of us on the forum have one that we use to hang our quilts for taking pictures. If you do a search on the forum, you will find more info on the stands. I ordered mine off Ebay.

Lynn, thanks for the tip. I was going to have DH build me a stand to hang quilts on to photograph, but he wasn't all that thrilled with the idea..........:) I went on Ebay and showed him one I was looking at and he said I should go ahead and buy it because it was cheaper than buying the wood and it was more portable ! So, I did !

I bought a photo stand as discussed, but what I also did, which I use more than the photo stand since I don't have to lug it out and set it up, is I bought a 1x4, put a large screw eye in each end, put a nail in each corresponding space on eve of my house in my back yard. It's not quite high enough to hang my bigger quilts, but for many this works and saves me the trouble of setting up the photo stand. This may not work for you, but is another option that might work for some quilts. No, they don't like heads, hands or feet on your quilt!

The other question, is no, you don't need a picture of the back. Just the overall quilt and a close up of the front.

That's a good idea, too, but won't work on my house. All our overhang is metal and I am sure DH would not want hooks in that. :) Most of it would be too high to reach without a ladder anyway. So, I hope the stand works well. I will keep it downstairs where Millie lives and possibly leave it up and over to one side out of the way until I need it. Otherwise, it will come apart and store under Millie.

My friend has a quilt display setup made from 2 x 2s and a long metal pole across the top through big eye bolts. It works well, but is very heavy and cumbersome to move and store. We use it once at year at our quilt show to display the raffle quilt. I wanted something I could use more often with easy setup. I like to take pictures of all my quilts even if they aren't going into a show or contest..........just for a record. Laying them on the bed or floor doesn't always get the best picture.

If you want your quilting to really show you need to light the quilt from one side so that you get light on the puffs and shadow in the quilting lines. You can get some inexpensive floods from Lowes. Either buy or make stands for them. Arrange them on one side of the quilt and adjust them until the light/shadow looks good. Sometimes you need a third light to fill in. Photograph against a white background. Don't use a flash.

For quilt shows that use the photos simply for indentification--"homemade" photos are OK. All the advice given here is spot-on--side lighting, a full shot without distractions like hands, feet, and the siding on the house, no flash, etc. There are many websites and UTubes about quilt photography with lots of great information.

Now campers--listen to Mama. If you are serious and want to enter Padukah, Houston, MQS, MQX or the APNQ shows (and I am sure others) you must hire a professional photographer who specializes in quilt photography. Really. I'm not kidding.

A professional will work with you to showcase the best parts of the quilt and the full-on shot will be a stunner. One of the big-girl quilters in my guild was accepted at the APQN show here only after her quilt had been declined by every big show in the States. Yep, she finally hired a photographer and got two quilts accepted. A photography session should last about three hours and you will be pleased with the results.

I know the expense is a bit, but if you are confident that it will be accepted, show it at it's best.

I'm certain Linda is right that a professional photographer would be able to take wonderful shots of your quilt BUT...

the quality of photos depends upon the show you're entering. For example...we ask for entries into the Tucson Quilt Fiesta 4 months before the show itself. We're not picky about the photos & many of them are just blocks pinned to a design wall. We trust our members to complete their entries in time to turn them in for the show.

However, the national shows often reject really nice quilts during the jurying process because the photos are terrible. I have to say that you can take your own photos successfully...my quilts have been juried into the Houston show for the past 4 years and I take my own photos. They want one of the whole quilt (all edges showing) and one detail that shows the quilting.

There are several tutorials online about taking good photos of quilts. Lighting is important. No body parts should show in the picture. The edges will look straightest if you hold the camera at the center point of the quilt instead of higher. Sit in a chair or buy a tripod. Some shows will not accept a photo if it has been altered (i.e. cropped, color corrected, etc.). Ask around at your Guild, odds are someone can lend you a photo stand. We do it all the time. Good luck with your entry! Nancy in Tucson:)

You CAN take your own photos, but they should be shot as though you were a professional.

1) use a quilt stand - no hands and feet in the photo

2) best to take the photo outside in the morning light, sun behind or slightly off to the side

3) use a digital SLR of the highest megapixels you can afford

4) Learn to use photoshop or other program so you can slightly sharpen your images if necessary

I'm not a professional, and the pics I'm about to post on another thread of my sister's 60th birthday quilt are not going to a show, but you can see how much difference it makes to take your quilt pics outside.

Linda

Archived