help! t shirt quilt

Haven't been on here in forever - been too busy with everything!!

This is how I charge and I haven't had any complaints because when people bring me their shirts to make into a quilt it's because they can't or don't want to do it themselves.

I charge $5 per block ( not shirt). Whatever fabric I use for sashings, cornerstones, borders, backing, batting etc are extra and customers pay whatever I get the fabric for. Since I buy my wide quilt backing and batting at wholesale I do make some $ there. If I have to buy other fabric for anything they get charged whatever I pay (plus any shipping etc). I then charge my regular quilting charge and most times I do an overall with a low/medium density design. Of course custom work really bumps up the price. I then charge my binding rate to finish the quilt.

All in all I think my prices are fair - I cover my costs and for the most part make pretty good money. Of course it's hard to charge for extra things which I wouldn't do anyways (like playing jigsaw puzzle with the blocks until it looks right) or ripping out a sashing because it just didn't line up like I wanted or adding something to the quilt that wasn't planned.

This method has worked out well for me and I have many happy t-shirt customers!

Originally posted by sandradarlington

Now another question...is Superior's Monolon thread the best thread to try? Or, do you recommend a different brand? Are any of them not shiny? I really don't like that fishing line shine.

Hi Sandra,

Superior makes Monopoly (thicker) and Madeira makes Monolon (thinner). I prefer Monolon and have used it on several Tee-shirt quilts. It doesn't shine much and doesn't "prickle" like the fishing line type does. (Order from Columbia River Quilting.):cool:

Thanks, Linda. I found a spool of MonoPoly in my drawer and also a spool of Sulky's Polyester invisible thread, still unopened. Have you ever used it? I'll check Columbia River for their Monolon.

Lisa, I'm going to charge by the hour for the top (including the stabilizing, cutting, piecing), then my square inch for the quilting and my linear inch for the binding. The top just needs the top and bottom border sewn on now, but I had to stop and run out to pick my son up from work. I'll get back to sewing tomorrow. So far it has taken me 3.5 hours, so I expect another 1/2 hour and the top will be done. So, $80 for the piecing. I haven't talked to the customer about the quilting yet, other than to say we would get together to go over those details. I want to have some ideas before I meet with her.

One problem I will have is what to quilt on the 15" square solid red, alternate blocks. I have a CL and also the QZ, but with my Liberty, I can only quilt an 11-12 inch design, so the design won't go to the edges. I am thinking of using the CL template that looks like sunrays. (I can't think of the name of that one.) Another option is to use the CL Starz template in the red blocks. I would use a matching red thread - So Fine. I would also SID around the blocks nad the borders. Of course, I don't know what the customer will want. If I get the Monolon, I will probably do a large meander in the t-shirt blocks and try to avoid the faces. The navy border will most likely be piano keys, done with navy thread, but maybe the wavy ones, especially if I use the sunray template with the wavy rays. It is so darn PLAIN that I think a template design will add just a bit of interest, at least that is what I am hoping. Since this is for a 12 year old boy, I don't want anything fancy.

IF anyone has any more thoughts or suggestions...keep 'em coming! Thank you.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

One problem I will have is what to quilt on the 15" square solid red, alternate blocks. I have a CL and also the QZ, but with my Liberty, I can only quilt an 11-12 inch design, so the design won't go to the edges. I am thinking of using the CL template that looks like sunrays. (I can't think of the name of that one.) Another option is to use the CL Starz template in the red blocks. I would use a matching red thread - So Fine. I would also SID around the blocks nad the borders. Of course, I don't know what the customer will want.

IF anyone has any more thoughts or suggestions...keep 'em coming! Thank you.

Hi again! Go ahead and place an open-ish motif in the 15" squares with whichever tool gives you the best design. Even if you can only quilt a 12" design. Then quilt down all the area outside the motif with your favorite medium-to-small filler so the motif will pop. That will give more interest to the plain blocks and I think be very effective. Stitch the same design in each block so they don't compete with the Tee-shirt blocks.:cool:

Thanks, Linda. Great idea!!! I can see how doing the same design in all the red blocks would be better than using a different one in each, which also had gone through my thoughts.

In that case, I should look for a design more like the stars that would be enclosed, where as the sunrays would not have an "edge" to know where to start quilting the background fill. Perhaps a star, as an example, or, using any of the designs and adding a circle around it to enclose it, then add the fill from the circle to the seam lines.

You have given me lots of ideas to think about. THANK YOU!

Sandra, make sure to take a couple of sample stitches in those pictures in the corner. I broke 3 needles on one quilt, and was never able to quilt within the picture due to the material she used for the picture.

I would make sure to let the customer know up front that it might be a problem. Of course I have had others that I have had no problem stitching thru.

Sandy, I think for a t-shirt quilt, you'll want the stronger (thicker) thread like Monopoly. Sewing through the thick stuff can be tough on a thin thread. You'll have fewer breaks if you use a strong thread.

Question: are you making this quilt now? Sounds like the piecing is going quickly - yeah! Does the customer have a price yet? I have not started a custom quilt with out giving them a price or estimate and gotten their OK.

I agree with not using the CL Sunburst on the blocks you mentioned. Sounds like they will end weird, unless you add them free-hand.....which could be cool!

Post pics!! Good luck.

Hi Lisa,

I have not given her an estimate yet, but I did write to her today to ask questions about a quilting design and if it was OK to quilt something in each of the red blocks, and what did she like. I gave her a few suggestions. I probably won't hear back from her for a few days. It usually takes a while for her to respond, as she always has to consult her daughter first. I sent her a picture of what I have so far. I'll see if I can attach it here.

I do not have the 8" top and bottom borders on it yet. The blocks are all 15" square. UGLY!

post--13461907170362_thumb.jpg

That is going to be nice. I like the RWB.

You are a brave woman to make a quilt with out an ok on a price. Hope you can trust you will get paid for your efforts. Sounds like the consultations have been a lot of time already.

Seeing it I think on one hand a panto (avoiding the center photo) would do the trick, but custom would be nice. All depends on the budget.

Take a closer look at the photos, especially the center one. It is not centered. Since I had to make the blocks 15" and I was not permitted to cut them down and add sashing, or additional fabric to piece the block, I can't center the pictures in the block. The one in the center is the most obvious. The top is right at the neck band; I can't go any higher, and yet the picture is still too high. I am still waiting for her to get back to me about the quilting. I don't want to go any farther until we discuss this more. Once I know how to procede I will send her an estimate. She is a friend of a friend and I am trying to work with her as best as I can. If I get screwed on the money, so be it. But, she can afford what I charge, as she is the Research Director at a large center for Chronic Disorders of Aging, not a "check out chick."

• 1 month later...

I charge a flat $14/shirt for a non-cornerstone quilt. Each block is 15" and if they want me to piece a block it is $25/block.

That price is a turn key price including everything- backing, batting, binding. if they want anything other than the black kona fabric I supply (and purchase wholesale) then they have to provide it.

All of my supplies are purchased wholesale and I use a big heat press to adhere the stabilizer to the shirts. It takes me 13 seconds per shirt so it goes fast.

I have thought about upping my price to $15.50/shirt but I need to track my time more precisely to be sure this makes sense. I only quilt them with a large meander so the quilting goes FAST. Plus, since I pieced it I know it will lay flat and be square.

If I were you I'd start timing myself to see what I'm really making per hour. I have found that I make an excellent wage doing tshirt quilts. I don't do anything very complicated, however, which keeps the labor down.

HTH!

Archived