Repairing Old Quilts

I just repaired a 75year old quilt for someone whose puppy chewed holes in it 40 years ago! She held on to it and many people told her it couldn't be repaired and to just cut it up and make wall hangings. It had about 6 holes with actual fabric totally gone. It turned out beautifully and when I gave it back to the owner she nearly cried.

Isn't it nice to give life back to an old quilt?

If anyone is interested....this is how I did it

1. lay the quilt upside down

2. smooth the tattered edges as flat as possible, avoiding distortion

3. cut a piece of fabric as close as possible to the color of the backing about 2 inches wider than the total area covered by the tear

4. using a hem stitch, turn the fabric under like applique and sew and turn around the tear.

5. Flip the qult over

6. carefull rearrange the tatters without distortion

7. add a similar weigh batting to the area where batting is missing

8. cut a piece of fabric about 1 inch larger than the hole or tear

9. gently tuck the batting and then the fabric under the tattered edges of the damaged quilt

9a. if you have pieces that the thread has come outof the quilt block, you can hand stitch the pieces back together before using the machine

10. I use a darning foot, feeddogs down and sew close to the edges of the tattered edge.

11. remove the pins

12. then stitch back and fort about 1/2 inch over the tatter all around the hole with a thread that matches the top color

It isn't perfect, but the quilt is once again made whole and an heirloom gets new life. the tear is just part of it's history.

Thanks for this info...particularly the last statement.

My perfect dog ;) that has never destroyed anything was "nesting" on an antique DWR quilt I'd picked up in the mountains. Holding it with his teeth and pushing with his feet (yes, we think this bully dog is part cat), he tore a couple of the pieces and I was just sick. My fault...it should have been taken off the bed before we put up the doggie gate.

I'll probably applique a "like" piece over the tears, but it gives me peace to consider the tears "just part of it's history".

Anita

The other process works well too! If you have a good piece that is the same as

the torn one, copy it onto a piece of fabric, with your printer.. gives a very good peice of fabric to mend with. It is best to check it on paper, and if need be, lighten or darken, resize if that is needed.. etc.

Good Luck,

Archived