7 sisters top

Whew! I finally finished piecing the 7 sisters for my cousin... it's a commission quilt for her mother who happens to be the oldest of - you got it - 7 SISTERS!

I had made the stars a bit smaller than the pattern, hence the wide borders and the white surrounding the stars. It's 83" x 90 - I think! The only thing I see that may be a problem is the outside border where it's pieced with a diagonal seam. Not to worry, it will quilt out...

I pretty much know what I want to do, but thought you girls might have some ideas! I want to make it easy and stunning at the same time... It has to be done this week. I will mark it this afternoon!

Let me know if you have any thoughts! I'm open!

OOPS! too big, try this one!

post--13461907590713_thumb.jpg

The piecing for a 7 sisters is rather daunting... the seams were each about 1 1/2" long, and you put the needle down at the 1/4" seam mark and sewed between those two allowances. After the blocks are pieced, it still takes 15-20 minutes to press each block since you have to "spin" each intersection to make sure it's flat.... Then since I didn't follow the pattern precisely, (silly me) I had to figure out the size of the triangles that fit at the bottom and top of the hexagon center. OH, and I also had to re figure the equal-lateral (sic?) triangles that separate the star blocks. Whew is right! Glad it's done!

Now the fun begins!

Bobbi,

I quilted one in APril that was all hand pieced, border included. Lay wonderfully flat. From my notes I SID aroudn the outside cream areas, did cc's in the inner cream diamonds. I left the stars unquilted. In the outer border I Freehand quilted Progressive feathers, I also did Piano keys in the very outer border. Now to see if I can find a close up pic.

post--13461907591092_thumb.jpg

Archived