Magna-glide delights versus Magna-quilt bobbins

Hello All,

and Happy Thanksgiving. I have an Ultimate I (actually in for a spa treatment as we speak...it has probably been over ten years since it went back home..bought used about five years ago) but anyway....

After reading about the great results people were getting with the magna-glide bobbins, I tried the glide thread and matching bobbins to quilt my daughter's quilt. IT WAS wonderful! I had hardly any thread breaks and could go complete rows without stopping! Now, I know my machine is really picky with how a bobbin is wound...ask me how I know :( and up until this glide experiment I used Signature cotton and I wound my bobbins on my Bernina 1230... so to the question:

Did my quilting go well because of the thread being polyester or because it was a magna-glide bobbin? I am wondering if I would have as much luck with the cairo-quilt/magna-quilt combination? I need some more thread and I only quilt for my self so it's not like I will be blowing through the stuff. I am either going to order the magna-glide or the magna-quilt and the matching top thread...?

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Judy

Ultimate I

Guest Linda S

Judy - I think the big secret with Fil-Tec's bobbins is that magnetic core. I use both the Magna Glide and Magna Quilt bobbins (Magna Quilt is cotton) and they both work GREAT! I never wind my own bobbins anymore. Actually, I just notice yesterday that my bobbin winder has an appalling amount of dust on it. I need to fashion a cover or it, just in case I ever get the urge to use it again.

Because I have so much thread to use up and because of retirement looming, I can't be spending money on lots of colors of maga glide or magna quilt bobbins so I have started putting my metal bobbins in my magnetic dish and then winding my own. Works like a charm.

Judy,

Signature thread is a very temperamental thread to work with in the top or bobbin when it comes to consistently great tension...it can be a bit rough and "slubby" which makes it pull through both the tension disks on top and the tension finger on the bobbin a bit more erratically. That can cause directional tension issues (when you move the machine left or away from yourself when standing on the freehand side of the machine.).

The more consistently both the top and bottom threads feed, the better your stitches will look. Polyester thread is very smooth, which also helps with that. You may not find out the precise reason it worked well, but all of the reasons are contributing factors:).

Love the Fil-Tec Threads-- so smooth and strong. I have always wound my won bobbins until I tried out the magnetic ones. Love them!! no backlash issues and the tension stays perfect.

I won't use signature--have a couple of cones I bought in 2002 when I bought my machine. I will only use them for practice--just to use them up. Like Dawn I find them very inconsistant.

Well I think I will do my own test. When my machine is back from its spa treatment I am going to quilt another quilt for my daughter with the cairo quilt and magna-quilt threads. So we shall see :)

Thanks to everyone for your input. I consider the apqs forum my best resource for ideas and troubleshooting!

Judy

Archived