Skinny backing

Oh, maybe 30 to 40% of the time. If I took off my Rulermate, it would probably be less, but it's a small price to pay for being able to leave it on! I had a backing recently that had only about 1 inch on each side. Then the next one had about 10 to 12 inches on each side, but only about 2 inches top and bottom. On that one, I ran into my Red Snappers with the Rulermate and ended up having to take them off and pin the backing to the leader instead.

I have this happen too but my customers are pretty good about giving me the requested 3 - 4". I also give them the option to add muslin strips to the side but I won't guarantee not going off track a little so they better give me at least 2" on each side. Anything less than that they are risking things going bad. You can make the side leaders that Sharon Schamber recommends. This allows you to extend that side and not run into the base of your machine. The down side is that you have to pin and unpin but not too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started measuring backs while the customer is with me. The last time a back was just 1 inch wider than the top I said, "Oops, this back is a bit too narrow. Do you want to take it home and add to it or just bring me a new back?" She took it home and added to it and her backs have been plenty wide ever since. :)

Archived