Groovy Baby, yeah! Pig Tails

I was quilting when my top thread started behaving rudely. It was shredding & misbehaving. I tried all the usual stuff, new needle, check tension, thread path & it was still being kind of a jerk. Then I remembered Dawn saying to check the pig tail guides as over time, they can get a groove worn into them. At very close inspection, sure enough, my pig tails were groovin' (On a Sunday afternoon...)

Now, here's the cool part, I had ordered extra misc supplies when I ordered my M & M wheels earlier this year-- just in case.

My Girl Scout training came in handy, always be prepared :)

OK, it's not a great story, but it sure was long, eh? ;)

An easy way to check that pig tail above the needle, is to, before you thread your needle the next day, run your thread around it a bit. I always unthread my machine before I put it to sleep. I then wrap the thread around one of the handle thumb screws. Remove the bobbin and place a hunk of batting under the foot. The next time I quilt I just grab the thread and do a little circling around the pig tail to clean it out and check for groves/burrs. By the hour.................zeke..............

Archived