bottom line/tension

I recently purchased some super-bobs bottom line prewounds. Would love some advice on adjusting tension, as this is the first I have used these. My top thread (Omni) is getting pulled to the quilt back. The bobbin tension is so loose, I don't think there is any tension. I have tightened the top tension to the point I feel like it may break the thread. Still a bit of top thread pulled to the back. Is this normal for bottom line in the bobbin?

Thanks,

Carol

Carol, with the cardboard side bobbins you really need to loosen the tension on the bobbin case. I don't use a Towa, so can't give you numbers, but with the bobbin drop test, you will see that to get the bobbin to drop at all, you need the tension loose. Much looser than you would run bottom line on your metal or aluminum bobbins.

Actually I would say you bobbin tension is to tight, that is why it is pulling your Omni to the back. I have a different bobbin case for each type of bobbin I use, and I set the tension on each bobbin case. Before you adjust the bobbin put your top tension back to where you would usually set it for Omni. So if the bobbin is to tight you need to loosen it, so turn the tension screw left (righty tighty, lefty loosey), no more than a 1/4 turn at a time till you get it right. I keep a bobbin in each bobbin case so I know at a glance which one is adjusted for which bobbin....Hope this helps....

I remove the back piece of cardboard on the Super-bob pre-wounds. I think I learned that in Dawn's class. It would be the round cardboard that is on the inside (back) of the bobbin case, not the exposed portion. This does not work with all pre-wounds - but the Superior, super-bobs seem to work better for me this way.

Using a Towa gauge, I set BL pre-wounds at 17-ish for thin threads like BottomLine and So Fine. Tut gets a looser bobbin. I leave the cardboard on the side that is up against the backlash spring and remove the side that is against the bobbin assemble. I used to remove both side until I had problems with thread tangling on the backlash spring. This is just what works for me.

We have been using Bottom Line prewound bobbins for several years and just recently I started having a problem with getting a consistant tension on the bobbin. I changed bobbin cases and it got better but it appears to be a problem with how the bobbin was wound at the factory.

A am also having terrible bobbin issues. It seems as tho omni doesn't like anything now. I tighten, I loosen, I swear and fuss and it still doesn't work out. I have tried different bobbin cases and just can't get a handle on it. I use metro pre-wound black and white but wind my own colors. Nothing seems to alleviate the problem so I just keep plugging along.

Archived