Tennis elbow from quilting?

I saw a sports doctor today because of sore muscles around my elbow and had a hard time lifting things that are normally not a problem to lift. He told me I have tennis elbow and we were trying to figure out the cause of it. After I told him about the quilting I do and use a rotary cutter, he said that was most likely the cause of my soreness. I couldn't believe that grasping the cutter could cause such soreness. Have any of you quilters had this happen to you? I have stretching exercises to do every hour and can lift only a certain way and NOT to grasp anything with my right hand (I'm right handed). It could take 2 - 4 weeks to heal. I'll be totally lost without being able to use my rotary cutter for that long. I might try to train myself to use my left hand! I'm in the middle of making Judy Niemeyers Bali Wedding Star (paper pieced with a lot of cutting) for myself. I totally love working on this quilt but I guess the cutting was just too much for my elbow. I'm glad it didn't happen before Christmas, as I had a lot of quilts I was making. Hope it heals soon, so I can get back to sewing.

I have tennis elbow too, in my right arm. Mine came from lifiting weights originally. Not very heavy weights, but evidently more than I should handle. That started a few years ago. It flared up again this fall when I moved some large cutting mats to my car, then inside a building. Didn't realize it at the time, but within a few hours I felt it. It's chronic and hard to get under control once it flares up.

I don't think rotary cutting bothers my condition. There are different types of cutters you might want to try. Martelli's makes one that's supposed to be super ergonomic.

I first had tennis elbow while I was recouperating from leg surgery in 2001, and was confined to bed with my legs elevated. Before my surgery I went out and bought lots of wonderful, fancy yarns to make scarves for everyone for Christmas. I was in bed for 5 days and knitted all day. When I went for my post surgery check-up, I told the doctor my legs were healing and feeling better each day, but my elbows were killing me. He said I had tennis elbow from knitting! Who'd a thunk?

I've had flair ups after some longarm "marathons" where I was quilting like crazy to get a lot of quilts done by a deadline.

Now I have learned to take more breaks and respect how I feel; stopping for the day, if necessary.

I too have had tennis elbow, actually one of the few people to get it from playing too much tennis :P:P Was playing on a doubles team, went to tournaments, won too much (!?) Dr. advised me that tennis elbow is always an over-use issue, take more breaks, stretch, build muscle in the right places so that tendons don't do all the work. I used the band awhile, but the exercises the tennis coach gave me fixed it permanently. :cool: 15 years later I can do most anything I want, except not for really long periods of time... Pat

There is also an armband that you can put a frozen ice-pack type thing in. Have tried them all and the one with the ice-pack thing provided the most relief. The pack is included with the band and you put it in the freezer. If you tennis elbow does not go away with in a reasonable time (few weeks) then check with your doctor about some physical therapy. I was given some very specific exercises that really helped. Have not had a flare-up in 6 + years.

Oh yes... I got it first about 14 years ago when I was cleaning houses. Had to quit that job because of it. The only thing that will make it get better is REST!! but most of us don't know what that is!! :) Mine flares up when quilting a bunch or the micro stippling especially, or when I am lifting heavy things. I was trying to do some simple weights this fall with just 5# weights, but ended up not doing it cause of my elbows. Another weird thing is it has flared up from me running!! Isn't that strange? I guess it is the way I am holding my arms when I run. I try to let them "hang" every now and then when I'm running, cause I am NOT going to give up running....OR quilting!! So, just try to take it easy when you can and put up with the pain!! The elbow bands do help somewhat!!

Thanks for all the helpful info. I think I'll try the band and see if it helps. I must have really been using the rotary cutter a lot and thought since the handle was curved that it was better for me. I do have quilting marathons where I would piece and cut all day and into the night, so probably need to do more stretching and resting in between. Think I'm going to go crazy waiting for it to heal. I did try cutting with my left hand and I can do it but it is just slower. I think I'll just do sewing for now with a little (left handed) cutting when I need to ;)

I've have it also. Combination of computer, quilting and putting mail in PO boxes when I was working.

I knew that I wasn't going to give up the first two. I wear the arm band from morning to night. Without any pain, I know that its not healing....but at least I get to do the things I love without pain.

Got mine at a pharmacy, is black and adjust to my size. It has a small ball that I position over the sore area. Just enough pressure to alter those nerves.

Not tennis elbow but shoulder and upper arm. I went to the doc last March after growing pain and having quilting become increasingly difficulty. I had been doctoring and going to a massage therapist for months. Finally, I went to a Chiropractor who brought me to my knees in pain adjusting a rib. After another treatment a month later, she suggested Yoga to strengthen the shoulder and back muscles. I could only raise my arm to shoulder height ( impossible to shave your arm pits) and couldn't make it go backwards at all. After 2 months of yoga, I have almost all my motion back. I go to a class 3 - 4 times a week for an hour. I'm sold on this treatment. As a side benefit, my tummy muscles are lookin' good.

Archived