The Eagle...oops Goose...has landed

Alright, I am a slow learner. But, I do learn. I will never ever ever again make flying geese without my wonderful perfect awesome Eleanor Burns flying geese ruler. I am making a prototype quilt for a designer that required gradated geese. A lot of them. She told me I would love making them if I would just use the rulers we bought. Yeah right. So, in the panel below I tried Ricky Tims one seam method. Now, in the panel they are ok, but in a quilt? Unless you want little pockets that will get caught in the longarm, or torn open by little fingers (or paws) I don't think so. I will post the pics of my amazing perfect geese! All done in about 2 hours start to finish.:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Here is the panel with the Ricky Tims method.

post--13461907982569_thumb.jpg

And the finished product. I love it. When I die they will find me clutching my flying geese ruler with a big smile on my face. Now if someone...santa are you listening????....would just bring me a rotating mat. Probably not. When you live by yourself no one brings you presents...LOL

post--13461907983065_thumb.jpg

Which brings up a whole other subject. I sew for my friends, usually just in exchange for quilting or just cuz I am a really good friend. :D:D:D:D But, I would like to earn some cash once in awhile. I am a very picky piecer. All my seams are pressed in the right direction, I picked out the 8 matching points on the darn prototype quilt many times (I am not telling how many) until those points are perfect:(:(:(:( I trim threads, etc. Yes, I fudge seams to make everything square and yes, I square up. So, what do you think? Is there a need among my long-armer friends for piecing? You know, those that have time to quilt for everyone else and don't have any for themselves? I am thinking there might be. They provide the pattern and the materials ( I have lots of thread already) and I provide the labor. I am also very fast so the hourly rate would be used well.

Tell me your thoughts. I have my big girl panties on so don't worry about saying "no, there is no need".:P:P:P:P:P

I do have references too.

Hi Nancy Jo! You've always been so good to me. Very generous, in fact. I'll never forget your overwhelming kindness.

And I totally suck at flying geese. My geese are always honky..... I mean... Mine are always wonky. :D

I'd love you to piece me some geese! :)

Would ya? If I sent you some fabrics would ya could ya darlin'???

I think you have a great idea. I have started cutting for quilters because so many hate to do it. It started because I have the studio accucut but then I got calls about other types. I enjoy ironing and cutting and I have huge tables for both. I charge a flat rate of $20 an hour. I can get most of them ironed and cut (using the accucut as much as possible) in an hour. They appreciate having all their pieces labeled and in baggies nice and neat!!!!!

I used the Eleanor Burns method of Flying Geese but scored one of my own rulers, the same as hers.

It makes perfect geese. Much better. neater and goosier than the no waste or one seam methods.

My geese from now on will all be Eleanor Burns style. I also made up a spreadsheet of how big you need to cut the squares for all different sizes.

I can email that to you if you want Nancy Jo.

Nancy! I LOVE that panel! I purchased one last year, and haven't had time to put it together, so I'm interested in how you will do that as well as how you will quilt it... It's just gorgeous, and I'm not even a sunflower person!

As to the hourly rates, anything I do off the "Ulti" is $20/hr.

Lynn, I'd love a copy too! I'm a "geese" lover...

Nancy,

If you really want to piece for others, offer that service to nonquilters. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are willing to pay for a quilt to match a specific room. When they don't have the skills to do a quilt, they call on people like us. I wish I could say no to doing quilts from beginning to end. I think you have something here.

Ha Sheri. You are more right han you know.:D:D:D. How are you doing? We need to get Shana down here and have a visit!

Bobette, the panel is actually done. I put just the border on the side. When I get it quilted and bind it I will match the color of the binding to the red part and the yellow part so it looks like a picture without borders. I did two more for friends with different blocks in the side border but the same concept. My local quilt shop came up with the idea and I modified it (of course, its what I do!)

Archived