IQ installation warranty

I'm still looking at getting an IQ for my Millennium. There are no sales rep in Hawaii so I may have to install it myself. This is what the IQ rep said if I install it:

The warranty is not void if you put IQ on your machine but we do ask self installers to sign this liability release form:

LIABILITY RELEASE FORM

The Customer accepts full responsibility for the proper installation of the system, in accordance with the written instructions provided by the Manufacturer. The Customer assumes liability for any and all damages to the IQ system, the basic machine, or the Customer's facilities, which are caused by the installation process. The customer also acknowledges that the Manufacturer's warranty will not cover damages caused by the installation.

After installation, IQ has a one year warranty. Adding IQ also doesn't void your APQS warranty.

What does it mean? Does it mean the warranty is void if I install? The system will cost almost $13,000.00. That's a lot of money to NOT have a warranty. Anyone out there installed their own system? Is it hard?

I installed my own. It was relatively easy process... my only regret is I did not buy my IQ from Angela Huffman. I bought it through another dealer. I won't go into details here... but ... hindsight 20/20... UGH!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If I were you, if you are serious about buying IQ, I would buy it from Angela Huffman. Even though Angela was not my rep, Angela has helped me immensely. She has gone far beyond and above to help get ME going with my IQ, and SHE STILL helps me with questions. That shows you the kind of character Angela has. I appreciate her more than words can describe. I would have been lost without Angela. Angela is a wonderful, caring rep and will make time to help you and Angela will make sure your self-install is done CORRECTLY and WITHOUT HASSLE!

(....this is me wishing I bought my IQ from Angela) Oh well lesson learned on my part! :(

Call or send Angela an email. She's a peach. I highly recommend her.

Donna, send me a U2U.

I bought my IQ from Angela She is very helpful during installation and continues to support with on going education and videos.

The self-install is about as hard as setting up the Millenium was, for me. I don't like to take the level and pick up bars off, or lift the machine head up. But it's required, so you just have to bite the bullet and do it. You'll need a second person to help with the heavy lifiting. I have the hydraulic lift too, which I love. But I had to take the motor for it off and re-install it elsewhere. Listen to me, like "I" really did this. My DH did it, he's terrific! I didn't get directions for how to re-mount that motor, he just figured something out that worked really well.

I am now a little concerned about the IQ warranty. We spend so much money on it, that it does make me think I should buy the extended warranty. I'm looking into that right now.

Seems to me if the manufacturer of IQ had confidence in their product they'd give a better warranty other than a one year for that kind of dollars. I can understand that if you install and break it you would need to pay to fix it but if it's not broken and works there is still only a one year warranty, you get those kind of warranties on a $10 toaster. Food for thought for the manufacturer of IQ.

My good little friend here in Oregon just got her IQ today. We installed it in 2 hours without any help. Fine tuned it via telephone and away we go! The only thing we suggested was that someone add a PICTURE of all the parts labeled so you actually know exactly what part is what. Other than that, we figured it all out. Good thing we are women and can read between the lines. :D:D:D:D

Y'all made my day! Thank you so much for the kind words. I spent the day at a funeral home- my cousin died this week in a car crash. I was feeling down and reading this post made me so good. Thanks for the pick me up. :)

Hitomi, the warranty on your IQ is actually comprised of a few different things and it can get confusing. I'll try to explain it as best I can.

1) IQ comes with a one year warranty. The tablet is made by Tablet Kiosk and you can purchase an addition 2 years of warranty for the tablet itself for around $350. You need to make this extended warranty purchase within a couple months of delivery of your IQ. Call Tablet Kiosk direct to get the most up to date price on the extended warranty.

2) Everything else (not including the software) is covered under a one year warranty. Think- motors, drive wheels, sensor wheels, thread break detector, jump cable, etc. You might ask around to those who've had their IQ systems for 3+ years and ask what, if any, things they've had to replace. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. (Even if your motors needed to be replaced they are about $500)

3) The software is completely different animal. All software updates are free. If you had purchased your IQ when it was first released, you'd have gotten all of the IQ updates since the beginning for free! Unlike my embroidery software that wants to charge me $$$ every couple of years for a new version, IQ includes those updates with your purchase!

Okay, so now let's look at self install. Think about all the people plugging in cables, unscrewing screws on their machines, working with tools around their longarm machines and tables, etc. For example, if you were to drop your screw driver on your Bliss drive rails while doing a self install and damage the table... who's responsibility would it be to fix your Bliss table? IQ's or the installer (which is you). If you were to trip over the IQ cables that hookup the motors to the power box to the tablet in the middle of self installation and you hurt yourself... who's responsibility would it be? IQ's or the installer (which is you).

Unfortunately in our litigious society companies have to protect themselves and the liability release document you must sign to do a self install is what would normally be covered by the business insurance your installer would carry.

I hope I'm explaining this well. I will tell you that I haven't heard of any self installs running into an issue where the liability release document hindered them or harmed them.

I think what you are doing is a great idea... talk to people who've done self installs on APQS machines. Make sure you are talking to APQS owners, though. (We enjoy no-drill install on our machines. ) If you choose to self install, take your time and don't rush. Read the directions THOROUGHLY and be sure your dealer knows when you are installing so they can be sure they are reachable by phone if you have a question.

Of course, you could always have an IQ dealer come to your home for installation. You would pay for the dealer travel costs but then the install would be done for you. I would think, though, you could save a nice bit of money doing a self install in Hawaii over flying a dealer to your little paradise (but it sure sounds awesome!).

:)

Hitomi, I(DH) just did a self install also. It wasn't difficult at all. I also think a few more pictures of exactly what's what would help to clarily thing but all in all it was easy to figure out. I echo everything Shana said about Angela!!! She has the right name because she is an Angel!!! She calls back in a timely manner and is VERY knowledgeable about the IQ!!! Think back to when you first got your Mille and how much you had to learn. This is just as much to learn!! I've been at Longarming for almost 15 years so I'm pretty comfy with my machine. IQ is a whole 'nuther animal!! That being said, it's very intuitive. Each screen gives you options, kind of like an embroidery machine. Angela is giving lessons via the internet too!!! These are free to her customers and only $50 for others. They are great classes. She has mastered this skill very well. She gives a virtual test drive too. Contact her and she'll set one of for you. One of my friends did this and ordered her right then.

Well, back to finishing a quilt for delivery in the morning!!!

Archived