Another question about warm & natural

I know this is asked allthe time but. . . .Ok, I agree there is WAY too much lint with W&N. cleaning all the time through the quilt. So if not W&N what else do you like? I like 2 different kinds of quilts, what else is there for the weight (of the finished quilt) and what is there to create some of the definition quilting I see on here?

Thanks to all of you caring mentors

I prefer the Dream company batting. They are a lot less linty. I use select weight. That give a nice definition to the quilting. Not too much not too little. If you're looking for more dimension, I understand wool batting is great for that. I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. I'm sure others will chime in with their preferences too!!! Everyone is different and so you'll get lots of answers, all of them right for them!!!

Guest Linda S

Warm and Natural has never been a good batting for showing definition. Not only is it too linty, it is also way too flat. Some of the standards are Hobb's 80/20 or the blends from Quilter's Dream. W&N has it's place when you want something really flat like a table runner or table cloth, otherwise, I don't like it at all.

I love all of the Quilter's Dream products. Most come in three weights..Request, which is more for hand quilting and not suitable for longarms: Select, which is the mid-weight, and Deluxe which is a heavier weight.

Dream Puff is a poly batting, somewhat fluffy and gives wonderful definition. Their wool is great, nice and lofty. I have never had a lint issue with any of their battings, and have finally come to the conclusion that I will use their products exclusively.

Try different ones to find what you like. Personally, I like Dream Blend, Dream Puff and Dream Wool. Dream cotton is also nice if you prefer a natural batting. I also like Dream Green (which is made of recycled bottles...a concept I really like). But, it does tend to show through on very light colored fabrics.

Warm and Natural is fine. I have used it a lot in my own quilts and it has held up well over the years.

I have an air compressor about 3 feet away from my longarm. I am constantly blowing off the needle and bobbin area with that thing. It's the best investment in my tool box.

I love QD cotton. MMMMMMMMM!

Hobbs Poly down. I like that too!

Wool. Yummy!

If you want serious definition you could lay W&N on the bottom and some wool on top; two batts. Or QD cotton and wool. The world is your oyster. Isn't it nice we have so many choices!!! Sooooooooo lucky to have the lovely choices in so many things quilty!!!

QD is my first choice and use it on all of my own quilts and gift quilts. I love it! I use 100% cotton, the blend, the wool (favorite), Puff, and also Dream Angel for baby/kids quilts.

But, most of my customers buy whatever they can get at JoAnn's on a half price sale, or with their coupons. I can't blame them for trying to save a buck, especially in this economy. I have turned away several batts that I received because they were terrible!!! But, usually I use whatever they send, and constantly need to blow out my bobbin area and the area around my needle, as globs of fuz collects there, and all of this lint adversely affects my stitch quality. I don't have that problem with QD. I LOVE when they ask me to get the batting for them. :)

If you want definition but not puff, Hobbs 80/20 is great for this. It is loftier than W&N, less linty and gives a really nice soft drape to the quilt. If you can buy the rolls, rather than the prepackaged, it is much nicer. This is about all I use. My customers love it and they have non customers ask them "what kind of batting" is in your quilt? I love the way if feels and drapes!"

Archived