Thread wrap

I'm having intermittent top thread breakage, with an audible snap, it appears as if the thread takes a loop around the point of the needle, can sew for some minutes doing small custom fill and outline and for no particular reason that I can see, the snap happens, so frustrating having to pick back and start off again.

I've done all the usual checks and tension tricks, seems ok then snap again.

Using So Fine top and Bottom line, my almost always combo, never had this problem before, any ideas?

Judy

Can you determine whether the thread is wraping around the needle before it enters the fabric or not? If it does another thing you might check is the check spring (the u shaped one by the tension). It's job is to keep the slack out of the thread untill after the needle has entered the fabric so the thread can't twist around the needle as you describe. Rotate the handwheel and watch that as soon as the needle starts going down the check spring also is moving down. I believe if you have the tension way too loose the check spring will also not fuction as intended. There are a couple of adjustments in your manual but should't be needed if you haven't removed your tension control unit. Just snap the spring with your finger to make sure the check spring is not broken.

If you figure this out please let us know the solution.

Nigel

Guest Linda S

If your thread is wrapping around the needle, there could be something wrong with the needle or the way it is inserted in the machine. It also could be that particular cone of thread. I have a cone I need to send back to the manufacturer, as it breaks about every five inches. I swapped to a new cone of thread (same brand, same color) and it works just fine. Every now and then, you get a bad egg.

Hi everyone and thanks for your input, I'm using a size 18 needle Heidi and it doesn't seem to matter which direction or even what pace I'm doing.

Nigel, the check spring seems ok, it sits at about 9am when I'm pulling the thread down through the foot and away, it's really hard to tell when it's happening because of course I'm watching where I'm going until I hear the snap and it's all over again, I did catch it happening once and the thread was going from the pigtail past the needle eye and into the fabric, then a thread came up through the needle eye and down again, that's when it snaps, so it's thread against thread making it snap rather than it shredding against a burr or something.

I backed the bobbin retaining finger off and got quite excited when I did 2 whole 12"blocks ( I have a 72 block candelwick quilt on) then it snapped again.

Linda, you could be right, I'll try another needle and maybe set the eye just a little off centre, it is a fairly new cone and I can't remember if the trouble started then, it's possible.

Just once in a while, I get a long stitch, missing at least 2, I'm wondering if this is what causes the wrap if it just all lines up, then it could be a stitch regulator problem and I don't want to go there, I'll try doing the small fills without the SR and see what happens.

Thanks again, I'll keep at it.

As a couple of other ideas to check. Is there a rough spot on the cone that catches the thread as it spools off?

Or is there a burr on the bobbin itself? I had this just happen to me with my embroidery machine. I was using the same spools that I have used before, but this was a new machine. Took it in to have it checked and they finally looked at the bobbin. It had been manufactured with a burr on it, so it was breaking my thread at the needle eye position.

Hope you find your answer.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I loosened the needle and put a fine pin through the hole to keep it centered while I tightened the screw, blew out the tension discs, pleaded for divine intervention and did 2 whole blocks without incident, woo hoo, after averaging about 6 snaps per block, it was sheer quilting pleasure, not sure what the problem was caused by, but for now, it seems ok.

Thanks again.

Archived