frogging techniques!

It would be wonderful to hear what your 'least un-favorite' frogging techniques are! :(

If I just get slightly off-track, I just tie up at an appropriate place and start again--leaving the picking out for later. If the area is somewhat more extensive (where new stitches would backtrack over the old ones) but still relatively small, do you pick out at the machine? It's such a back-killer and then there are the on the floor with a flashlight, dog in the face, phone ringing issues....

If it's a sizeable area (like a large block with terrible tension and bad design when I knew I should stop but didn't....), I will take the quilt off to frog somewhat more comfortably...but at least I have zippers. What happens if you don't?

Any thoughts from you wonderful experienced quilters (why do I still hear my father say "Do it right the first time"!?) And then I might get my presents actually wrapped!!:)

Caroline

Hi Caroline--

Unfortunately, I am proficient at this frogging method!! Pull the bobbin thread to the top. Hold the top thread in your left hand and tug until the next stitch of the bobbin thread is visible . Using teeny tiny scissors with a sharp point ( I use curved- bladed embroidery scissors) carefully snip the bobbin thread. Pull again and more bobbin thread will appear. Pull the top thread and snip only the bobbin thread. Usually the pull will pull out three or four stitches and then you snip. This is done only from the top so you have no dog-in-your-face problems! Be careful you don't snip fabric and don't get reckless with your speed. You will have snippets of bobbin thread on the backer, but I don't worry about those until I groom the back. The top thread comes out in one long length. Cindy Roth taught me this in a class. She uses a pair of tweezers to hold and tug the top thread.

I'm sure their are other ways to do this. Have fun and Merry Christmas!

Linda Rech

Guest Linda S

Oh my! You are all so dainty about it. ;) If I have a large area to frog, I will start about 4" from where I stopped stitching. Snip one of the stitches and use my seam ripper to pull out a couple of stitches on each side of the snip. Then I read under, grab the loop of bobbin thread created by taking out the top stitches, and PULL! Repeat the process every 4-5". You will then be able to take hold of the top threads and just lift them off the quilt. True, there will be a couple of stubborn areas here and there, but this is so much faster. Why do you think they call it RIP-it? ;):P

Linda

My method is like Linda S., and I feel that I too am proficient :(:) I use a seam ripper and just go across the top and rip about every 5 to 6 stitch out. When I get severl done, I reach under - I have been blessed with long arms - of course I would look pretty dumb at 5' 11" and short arms....but that's another story - the top and run my finger nail across the bobbin stitch until it loosens then I pull....and a whole line of stitching comes out. But, like Caroline says, it can be back breaking if you have to do too much.

I'm really good at it, I can rip a quilt so quickly... I know it's not something one should brag on... LOL:D

I'm like Linda get out the ever trusty seam ripper, cut every fourth to fifth thread and give the bobbin thread a little tug...

I usually do it standing at the machine ..

Teresa

I learned the Linda Rech (Cindy Roth) method in a Myrna

Ficken class. And it goes pretty fast. I can certainly rip out a

block faster than I can unzip, haul to den, rip out, haul back

to machine and zip up.

But I am going to have to try Linda S. method the next time

I have to frog.

I had to LOL with the picture in my mind of you under the

quilt with a flashlight like some spelunker and the dog in

your face. :D

My other handy tool to have is my tiny needle nose plyers. This is actually a

pair I have had for MANY years - back when I did circuit boards assembly.

This , my sharp little scissors and my seam ripper - Oh and a magnify glass

if things get too tiny...... one can start to go cross-eyed after a bit!

I am with Linda S., I break every 4th or 5th thread. Then grab the bobbin thread and pull...just make sure the points are broken on each side or sometimes they won't pull out.

I should also mention that a lint brush (one with the sticky tape) is real good for picking up the threads on top and backing.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

I usually do the pull bobbin to the top and pull on the top thread. Then I cut the bobbin loops with the seam ripper. I do this carefully and take as much time as needed. I also use a magnifying glass when needed to ensure I am getting just the thread.

When there is a large area I unzip and take it to a more comfortable place.

I will have to try some of the other methods some of you suggested.

Late to reply here but want to add one more part to the technique. I pull and snip. (Thought I invented it! Ha, ha.) The method I use to deal with all the little snippets of thread then is to vacuum them off. Just be sure the end of your attachment is clean and gently scratch the fabric with your fingers ahead of the vac to help loosen them. I do this top and bottom. This also helps to close the needle poke holes a bit.

~~ Eva

Archived